Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil / solar / stove

Options
  • 17-11-2008 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question on a heating system for a new build. Have solar panels and triple coil tank from AEI, A oil condenser boiler and a Charnwood Island IIIb boiler stove. What I want to know is If the tank has hot water from solar panels already in it, I come home and light the stove, will I always have to turn of the central heating from coming on manually or will the thermostats on the radiators prevent the oil boiler coming on and pumping.

Basically how will all three systems work together is what Im asking. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

There’s a ;lot of variables here
    Here’s a scenario
    Spring day solar has heated the water in the domestic tank to 50 degrees
    Oil boiler’ timed to come on before you return home’ brings the heat in the tank to 60 degrees’ whereby the thermostat closes a valve and tells the oil boiler that it hot enough .
    You come home light the fire’ it heats up; and, adds heat to the system; provided you have not used any hot water’ it should only add heat to the heating system; if the fire raises the temperature of the water above the oil boiler’ then the oil boiler should not kick in
    Talk to your installer and figure your best options

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭David Jones

Cheers. The islandIIIb has no electrical parts so If the water is already hot from the solar and oil central heating, will it when lit "know" not to pump water to already hot radiators, and just heat the living room its in? Sorry I have no clue when it comes to plumbing and heating. thanks for response.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭copper12

If you light the stove it will heat the water
    This heated water will have to go somewhere
    The system need to be designed with this in mind

Advertisement