Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

windows activation problem

Options
  • 17-11-2008 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Can anyone help, after formatting and reinstalling my os cd due to nasty virus complications, I now have a notice on my desktop saying I need to activate my windows application. I have tried this and its telling me that it is the incorrect product key and I tried ringing the telephone no too with no luck PLUS the online option is not opening for me. Can anyone tell me why this may be happening and is there anything I can do to fix this?? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

what do you mean by "no luck" when you call the number given, i had an issue similar before, i called a dublin number given and they had my issue sorted in about 2 minutes, you just give them your product key and they give you back a code to enter and bingo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 josie5

I rang the 1800 number given for Ireland and it was an automated system that put me through a process to update the product key and this didn't allow me to update and the result was to contact the retailer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

where are you getting the key that you are using from?? i presume it's the one on the side of the pc, and that it's the correct key for the correct OS (ie. XP home and PRO aren't the same)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Have you followed the Activation process properly?

I had to do this recently with a friend's computer and needed to activate via telephone. When you put in the original Product Key into the spaces on the computer it will give you an Activation Code that you need to repeat to the Telephone Service Agent. Once confirmed they will give you a Confirmation Code to input to the activation window on your computer.

As long as you have followed the instructions correctly it will work perfectly. As far as I recall, you don't even need to mention your OS Product Key to the person on the telephone as they can read that from the Activation Code generated by your computer for the activation procedure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 josie5

Actually rang microsoft yesterday and they tell me the product key from the bottom of the laptop is not compatible with the OS Cd I installed as the cd is for windows professional and the product key is for a windows home edition!! So there was nothing they could do for me! This is the cd I received with the laptop so I don't know what to do!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

it should say what operating system you have above the product code on your laptop and also on the disc, are they the same operating system i.e xp home/xp home - xp pro/xp pro etc.

if they are different , you need to get your hands on an operating system cd that matches the sticker on the bottom of your laptop , it might be possible that they shipped the wrong cd with your laptop, if so contact where you purchased the laptop and explain your dilemma, if they are any good they should help you out.

best of luck.

Advertisement