Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky Pups

Options
  • 17-11-2008 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

I am looking for a Husky but cant afford the usual price,anyone know anyone who would part with one for less that 500?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No decent breeder will sell them cheap. They are a pedigree dog and they are expensive, if you cant afford to pay for one then i dont think they are the dog for you.
    If you really are intent and serious in getting one i would save up and pay the right money for them as if you buy from a decent breeder you are getting good quality dogs.
    If you buy them cheap, they are cheap for a reason, so just beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If you can't afford the buying price, how will you afford the vet cost if anything goes wrong?

Even if you get a dog for free, it can still cost a fair bit down the line.

You don't need to be rich to own a dog ...but you better have some spare money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

The chances are that if you went out of your way to find a 'cheap' pup, that is what you're going to get. Why try save a few hundred and end up paying the difference in the vets trying to treat his or her genetic issues, hip displaysia etc?

Some guy here posted recently who had a husky pup - he had a hip problem and is now in treatment for it. If he has to have surgery, it's going to cost thousands, and he was facing a horrible dilemma.

I'm not trying to be cruel, but if you can't afford the extra few hundred for the pup, what are you going to do if something like this occurs? Put him to sleep? Even simple pet issues can cost hundreds in vets consultation fees and medication, x-rays etc.

Consider rescuing a pup instead ... if you choose a cross-breed, you'll likely have less health issues to consider, and you can put that 500 quid towards the other bits and pieces all dogs need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Or better yet, get some pet insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

ok ill fork out the cash you are all right, now where to get a decent dog run or would i be better off building this myself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I'd also recommend getting a full vet check before handing over a penny ...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Although they are a beautiful dog they are a real handful, sometimes adults come up in rescue. As said ensure the dog is fully checked out by your vet not the breeders before parting with any money no matter how charming the breeder is.

These are a working breed and can be stubborn god bless your energy lol

I am getting one too. But its true , cheep dog alot of vet bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

andreac wrote: »
    No decent breeder will sell them cheap. They are a pedigree dog and they are expensive, if you cant afford to pay for one then i dont think they are the dog for you.
    If you really are intent and serious in getting one i would save up and pay the right money for them as if you buy from a decent breeder you are getting good quality dogs.
    If you buy them cheap, they are cheap for a reason, so just beware.
    i disagree. putting a large price tag on a pup doesnt mean its well bred. not so long ago there was a poster on here who paid big money for a huskie pup that had hips that were fcuked. charging extortionet amounts for a pup doesnt mean its well bred. its because of the large amounts of money to be made that we have puppy peddlers.

I take your point Whitser, but that was unlucky and the buyer should have done their home work before handing over big money like that. Most decent breeders will charge the right amount of money as they have put a lot of hard work and effort into health testing and raising the pups with a lot of care and hard work, and given them good quality food and proper veterinary care.
    If good pedigree dogs are going cheap its for a reason. I bought a rottweiler 2 yrs ago and paid good money for it. I waited until the right breeder and good pups came along and it was well worth it. I could of bought pups for a third of the price from the paper or online but i knew it wasnt the right way to go.

• Advertisement

I take your point Whitser, but that was unlucky and the buyer should have done their home work before handing over big money like that.

This is very true. I have been doing mine for a year now . Still not sure were i will be getting mine .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭whitser

op my advice would be dont judge a pup or breeder by the price tag. go and look at the set up, parents the pups themselves etc...then make your mind up. you could just as easy pay less for a good pup as pay big money for a curr.

This is very true. I have been doing mine for a year now . Still not sure were i will be getting mine .

What kind of dog are you looking for? I might be able to recommend some breeders for you depending on the breed.

What kind of dog are you looking for? I might be able to recommend some breeders for you depending on the breed.

Sib Husky . but i am looking to get it around christmas as thats when i have my holidays .

All Ireland Siberian Husky Club
    Mrs. Anita Foley Duggan

Leorient House, The Green, Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny.

(056-8833817) or (056-8833160)

Did you try this lady? They are well known in the huskies and have lovely dogs which they show too.

All Ireland Siberian Husky Club
    Mrs. Anita Foley Duggan

Leorient House, The Green, Ballyragget, Co. Kilkenny.

(056-8833817) or (056-8833160)

Did you try this lady? They are well known in the huskies and have lovely dogs which they show too.

Yeah i spoke to Anita , she doesnt sell dogs at christmas .

Ah, well i can understand that. Could you not wait til after xmas?

Have been waiting a year , christmas is the best time for me to start the training as i have my holidays then .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

There are breeders in Cobh, Co. Cork. I remember a girl I knew from college got one from them this year, lovely dog!

I'm pretty sure they have contact details in the local pet shop, so if anyone would like me to have a look and pass them on, let me know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Kaldorn

i cant wait to get one now but have to get a wall built or a fence cause if i dont he will be out before you say "oh my god our new husky has escaped and is eating mrs robinsons tights off her washing line" try donedeal.ie for huskys

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

donedeal and all other online sites are a puppy farmers heaven. any good breeder won't need to advertise, they usually have a waiting list! before getting a husky make sure you can look after it properly, they need a couple of hours exercise a day and preferably another husky for company as they are pack dogs more so than other dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 viviantang

No animal selling allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Pretty sure you ain't allowed sell dogs here viviantang

Advertisement