Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin street renamed to commemorate Shell victim

Options
  • 17-11-2008 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

The Street where the Shell Head Office, and more importantly the Department of Natural Resources, is was renamed after Ken Saro-Wiwa for the anniversary of the execution of KSW and eight other activists who were organising protests against Shell in Nigeria.

There is a short video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBHp--u4QVk
    and photographs here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/24935400@N06/sets/72157608792269359/

In 1995 Shell executives approached the families of the men who were under death sentence from the Nigerian dictatorship and offered to get the sentences quashed if they would cooperate with the company's plans for the Niger Delta. The men refused and were hanged, one by one, with Ken Saro-Wiwa being forced to watch the others before he was killed.

Naming the street where Eamon Ryan works after Ken Saro Wiwa might provide a suitable reminder to him of how governments can be corrupted by the energy companies.

Speaking about the changing of the signs, Senator David Norris said:

While I would not wish to encourage a wholesale free for all in the
    changing of street names by individual citizens I would like to say that in
    the circumstances I am very happy to support the changing of the name
    Adelaide Road to Ken Saro Wiwa Street. The judicial murder of Ken Saro Wiwa
    is very well known but the implication of Shell Oil in the matter deserves
    also to be exposed.

Ken Saro Wiwa was a noble generous and courageous human being who lost his
    life in a struggle against oppression. He is much worthier to have a street
    in Dublin named after him than Adelaide Louise Therese Caroline Amelia of
    Saxe-Meningen who was the despised wife of the dissolute Prince of Wales at
    the beginning of the 19th century. She was a sad creature who is best left
    to rest in peace whereas Ken Saro Wiwa deserves to be celebrated by all
    mankind.

Best wishes
    David Norris

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Excellent stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It would be interesting to have a thread relating to the history of the "Oil Emperors" as they must have more skeletons in their corporate cupboards than have been amassed by quite a few of the usual bog-standard emperors throughout history.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

it is inaccurate to say that the name of Adelaide Road has been changed. All that has happened is that someone has changed the sign. It will, no doubt, be changed by the council in due course.
    This is nothing more than a prank, and should not be dressed up as anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

I saw this on indymedia and noticed that if you post anything critical of the people behind this prank your post will not pass their lefty-editorial vetting process.

I would put that down as a selfish act of vandalism by people with too much free time on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

personally I'm off to buy shares in the company that make street signs, we're gonna need a lot.

• Advertisement

personally I'm off to buy shares in the company that make street signs, we're gonna need a lot.

There is a shop on 'Margaret Thatcher Boulevard' that sells them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭asdasd

'Margaret Thatcher Boulevard'

which used to be O'Connell st. until some thatcherite renamed it today.

IndyMedia now up in arms over right-wing vandalism!

I think

A) this thread is mis-named
    B) not in the correct forum.

asdasd wrote: »
    which used to be O'Connell st. until some thatcherite renamed it today.

Don't worry by tomorrow it will be 'Yasser Arafat strasse'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Oh for god sake.

You lefty types don't speak for the majority, so quit taking down street signs as if the 'people' want this done.

You lefty types don't speak for the majority, so quit taking down street signs as if the 'people' want this done.

we need to claim it back and name it after some Anglo irish type as is right and proper.

• Advertisement

sorry, my mistake, after

Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen.

who we all rightfuly cherish. ( I saw her once, you know! just above the horizon, decorating and cheering the elevated sphere she just began to move in — glittering like the morning star, full of life and splendor and joy. )

• Registered Users Posts: 23,985 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

sunnyjim wrote: »
    Oh for god sake.

We'll replace them with "No Right Turn". :P Traffic will be grid-locked.

We'll replace them with "No Right Turn". Traffic will be grid-locked.

You radical lefties better watch out or I will go to Dalkey and rename it BallyJakieHeallyRae.

that'll shut you up.

Advertisement