Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asian Supermarket in Carlow

Options
  • 17-11-2008 9:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Does anyone feel there is a need for an asian mini/super market in Carlow town. Having lived in Dublin for a couple of years, I regularly visited the asia markets there. They sell far better stuff than what's usually available in Dunnes/Tesco's etc.. at more economical prices. I sure miss a shop like that in Carlow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

There's an asian (chinese) shop on gramby row. Don't know what it sells, but it doesn't look too apealing.

Don't think there is much of a need to tell you the truth. You can get most things in all the supermarkets around town.

What do they miss exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

maybe it's a stupid question but would lidl and aldi not fulfill your needs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well they would, if your needs were mainly continental food ;) Not a huge amount of asian food in there. More in tescos.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Well they would, if your needs were mainly continental food ;) Not a huge amount of asian food in there. More in tescos.

point taken i guess. The OP said that asian food was often of higher or better quality. I wouldn't necessarily agree, now maybe it's just me but if i want good high quality food i would always find myself in superquinn, ook they are dear but the quality is there.What are the opinions? I know i prefer irish produce myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭shesalady

There is a tropical food shop down in the city centre, carlow tropical foods i think it's called, on bridewell lane, if i remember well. I definitely know its the street behind the post office and they have quite a bit of asian fish, spices and stuff. u could check it out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Ebony1

Thanks for the directions to the tropical food and chinese shop. Only just moved into the carlow area and don't know my way very well. I'll check it out next time I am in town. I still believe the irish supermarkets don't sell quality asion foods, unless you think that Uncle Ben's, Amoy etc. are the best. It tastes like crap to me. I prefer preparing indian and other asian dishes from scratch using real spices, herbs and so on and they are simply not available in shops like dunnes. There is also a whole range of asian vegetables (bitter gourd, colacasia leaves, okra, plantain and daikon spring to mind) that you simply can't get elsewhere and oh, have I said that the rice you buy in irish shops doesn't taste anything like the real thing. That's only my opinion though. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Ebony1 wrote: »
    I prefer preparing indian and other asian dishes from scratch using real spices, herbs and so on and they are simply not available in shops like dunnes. There is also a whole range of asian vegetables (bitter gourd, colacasia leaves, okra, plantain and daikon spring to mind) that you simply can't get elsewhere and oh, have I said that the rice you buy in irish shops doesn't taste anything like the real thing. That's only my opinion though. ;)

Can we all come round to your house for the next boards night out please.... :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

I would love to see a proper Asian shop in carlow. I wonder where all Indian restaurant source their ingredients...

darkbeatz wrote: »
    I would love to see a proper Asian shop in carlow. I wonder where all Indian restaurant source their ingredients...

I'd love to know that too. I guess they must get most of their stuff imported either direct from somewhere in Asia or maybe the UK. UK has some good websites where you can order nearly all you need (which is what I do at the moment) and some do wholesale too. I would love to be able to just walk into a local shop and browse around all those exotic foods and trying them all out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭darkbeatz

would you mind sharing the website?

• Advertisement

darkbeatz wrote: »
    would you mind sharing the website?

Ofcourse I can. The ones I use the most are :

www.natco-online.com
    www.spicesofindia.co.uk

Another good one is www.spiceworld.uk.com but their p&p to Ireland is quite expensive.

Advertisement