Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Red Carpet

Options
  • 16-11-2008 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭

Isn't it nice of DLR Co Co to lay down the red carpet to welcome me along the cycle lane at Grange Road, beside Marlay Park - see attachments

If you look carefully at the first shot, you can just about make out the grey concrete kerb edge under the 'carpet', but a less careful cyclist could easily miss the kerb and cause serious injury.

Is this kind of danger commonplace on other cycle lanes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

wouldnt cycle through those leaves anyway. Would be on the road, but I see your point.
    unsure about the validity that DLR Co Co put them there though, I've seen leaves gather like that before, but, if you meant, that its their responsibilty to keep cycle lanes and paths clear of such debris, then yeah, was nice of them.
    Bet they wouldn't like the solicitors letter from an injured cyclist, or pedestrian for that matter (as its hard to see the kerb, you could easily walk off edge and turn on your ankle).

I never use that cycle lane actually - first of all there's a (not in service) bus lane which I use as soon as it starts, second if you are a pedestrian and realise halfway that you're walking in the cycle lane you can't easily move over to the footpath, and thirdly because the cycle lane goes across loads of the entrances to Marlay/Three Rock Hockey (?) club.

Best solution is not to ride on lanes which you can't see!

Give them a call to let them know sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Same thing on the N11 heading into the city between Stillorgan and Oatlands college.

The path is covered in leaves which not only cover any potential hazards but reduce traction and could cause a nasty spill.

Buses turn left up by the shopping centre so the only people using the bus lane are taxis. I don't think I'm causing a major obstruction and would not cycle on such a badly maintained and potentially hazardous stretch.

Advertisement