Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD question.

Options
  • 16-11-2008 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭

My computer recently broke and I have alot of content on my HDD. If I was to buy a new PC, would it be possible for me to take out my old HDD and put it into the new PC and have the Windows OS and all my content. I have alot of software on it too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

sometimes it works mostly it doesn't.

probably better off to do a fresh install with new drivers and just copy your data across to the new install

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

So if I install the old HDD into the new computer, all I have to do is a fresh install?

Dman001 wrote: »
    So if I install the old HDD into the new computer, all I have to do is a fresh install?

well if you purchase a ready built machine i assume the install will be done for you

pop your disk in with the old one and just transfer the data across

this won't include your old installed apps on the OS just the data

pics/music/vids etc etc

unless the new pc is of very similar hardware the OS on the old HDD more than likley wont boot

Well I have alot of software such as MS Office so do you think my best bet would be to fix the computer?

Dman001 wrote: »
    Well I have alot of software such as MS Office so do you think my best bet would be to fix the computer?

whats wrong with the machine?

• Advertisement

I'm not sure. The fan was noisy for ages and one night there was a smell of fumes and it decided just to stop. I'm not sure if it's the PSU or what it is.

Advertisement