Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wearing contacts on the plane

Options
  • 16-11-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

I heard it's not a good idea to wear them on the plane in case they get really dry and stick to your eyes from the pressure...

is that true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Its the recirculated air it tends to dry out your eyes a bit. Nothing to do with pressure. You can wear them on a plane no problem its just they can get a little dry and scratchy so end up a little uncomfortable.

I leave them in for short flights but take them out for long haul (mainly becasue I like to sleep). I fill 3 - 4 containers with solution and stick them in my carry on, never had any issues with taking them on.

Forgot to mention. Your probably new enough to contacts if you're asking this, just a bit of advice. If your not flawless at taking in/out your lenses take them out before the plane takes off and back in after the plane lands, you don't want to accidentally poke yourself in the eye or drop a lens becasue the plane jerks a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Contacts on a plane is not a problem. I usually keep mine in, just so I can enjoy the view out the window. However, if it's a night flight, I take them out so I can have a nap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Many pilots wear them so it can't be that much of a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I found that my eyes got dry so I always brought eye drops with me - for long haul though always took them out to sleep..

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

they arent a problem to wear when flying. as ppl have said its the recycled air that dries out your eyes. this can be a big problem if hungover and flyin with them in. otherwise i havnt had issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

The ones I have are 24/7 ones so I can sleep in them anyway. I carry a small bottle of wetting solution with me for the occasions when they get a bit dry. I have been wearing lenses for around 23 years now so my eyes feel wierd without them in :D

Advertisement