Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaining entry points through subbing?

Options
  • 15-11-2008 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭

Hi all.
    I want to do a primary teaching course but I don't have the LC points. I do have the minimum subject requirements and would like to do the course as Gaeilge. I had been doing a BA but have since left that.
    A friend of mine suggested getting a subbing job and the experience can count towards getting into a course. Does anyone know if this is true?
    There is a subbing job available for me in a local school if I want it.
    I was considering waiting until I get mature student status but thats 3 years away!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

I wouldn't have complete expertise on the application process for Primary teaching but I have looked at it and can say that I am unaware that it considers experience as a possibility for making up a points shortage, unlike in secondary teaching.

I imagine if one was in an interview situation and could point to this experience it would be useful and an indicator of genuine interest but as far as I am aware the points are needed in the first instance.

It's a pity you left the BA as that would have opened doors currently closed to you - not least the post-graduate route if it it still there is a few years which is hardly guaranteed either. These courses were brought in to address a shortage of teachers. It is hard to see the Department of Education continuing to give the go-ahead for such courses if that shortage no longer exists.

You could of course put all your energy into repeating the Leaving Cert in 2009 and apply to the CAO for Primary Teaching if you are determined enough. On the face of it that seems your most obvious and direct route right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭lintdrummer

That's something I hadn't considered and surely worth looking in to. Thank you for the insight.

Advertisement