Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are bigger phones more "Fashionable" or Desirable?

• 15-11-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

Just a quick thought i noticed recently. A lot of girls i know now are now carrying bigger phones around with them. Iphones, blackberrys etc etc. Sort of making the point of carrying them in your hand as opposed to a pocket or handbag.

I was in Voda/O2/Meteor stores recently and i noticed the same trend of bigger phones. LG viewty, Eseries nokia's, etc etc

So, what do you think? Do you think bigger phones are "in" now?

Are bigger phones more "fashionable" or "desirable"? 9 votes

Yes?
    0%
    No?
    100%
    StarkquintronfoobarironictoasterWalkmancojomo2johnk123streckermetalfest 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

I think it's more a case of phones with more functions and big screens are in. More functions tends to mean bigger size (HTC Diamond excluded).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

No?
    Sarn wrote: »
    I think it's more a case of phones with more functions and big screens are in. More functions tends to mean bigger size (HTC Diamond excluded).

Agree... Touchscreen thanks to iphone, and more mobile web/email use, mean a small screen is 'out', and bigger screen means bigger case... And fiddly phones suck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

well you'd get a lot of looks carrying one of these around :)

9505a-iridium-satellite-phone.jpg

but ya these 'big screen and no buttons' phones are in fashion right now, part of the whole facebook / multimeeja web 2.0 generation but i think they won't stay in fashion for more than a couple of years. if you carry around an ordinary shaped phone like a e51 or 6300 nobody looks at it or gives a toss

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

You'd imagine if they wanted to lower the ring tone volume you wouldn't have to use a silencer. Or is that one of those James Bond phones with a gun inside? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

No?
    towel401 wrote: »

but ya these 'big screen and no buttons' phones are in fashion right now, part of the whole facebook / multimeeja web 2.0 generation but i think they won't stay in fashion for more than a couple of years. if you carry around an ordinary shaped phone like a e51 or 6300 nobody looks at it or gives a toss
    hahaha.... erh, what is your point exactly :confused: if you do a lot of mobile internet/email a small screen - even a good one like the e51's - is just a pain in the ass eyes! that has nuddin to do with being trendy... though the iphone's quality screen has certainly helped us netnuts with finally getting more phones with nice big screens.
    Only a year or so ago the e71's screen would have been considered sufficiently-sized; now a lot of reviewers find it too small! and frankly, for a pure touchscreen-only device like the htc diamond, I find 2.8'' ridiculous!
    Now, can you explain how in a year or 2, people will stop wanting to enjoy eye- and finger-friendly screens? Sure, some of the peeps who have recently been infected with the smart/touch-phone hype, will probably go back to "dumb" phones, smaller, simpler no-nonsense phones. Sure! Because those people really don't care - they just lost sanity for a while induced by advertising etc etc... but "power-users"/people without proper broadband/people who need email and net "on the go" - they certainly won't return to small, zero-spec java phones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

No?
    Very good points here, and it's interesting to see what people think. Well i was having lunch with some friends earlier today(2 of which were female) and low and behold, out comes an iphone and a blackberry from the girls.

I asked them why they like the big phones?? The answer i get..... They're in fashion right now and when you have a big phone, more people see it, therefor more poeple see you. As shallow as that sounds, that's what they said.

I dunno, i just keep seeing a lot of people using big phones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

strecker wrote: »
    hahaha.... erh, what is your point exactly :confused: if you do a lot of mobile internet/email a small screen - even a good one like the e51's - is just a pain in the ass eyes! that has nuddin to do with being trendy... though the iphone's quality screen has certainly helped us netnuts with finally getting more phones with nice big screens.
    Only a year or so ago the e71's screen would have been considered sufficiently-sized; now a lot of reviewers find it too small! and frankly, for a pure touchscreen-only device like the htc diamond, I find 2.8'' ridiculous!
    Now, can you explain how in a year or 2, people will stop wanting to enjoy eye- and finger-friendly screens? Sure, some of the peeps who have recently been infected with the smart/touch-phone hype, will probably go back to "dumb" phones, smaller, simpler no-nonsense phones. Sure! Because those people really don't care - they just lost sanity for a while induced by advertising etc etc... but "power-users"/people without proper broadband/people who need email and net "on the go" - they certainly won't return to small, zero-spec java phones!

the power users would be the ones that carried a pda around before anyway and might end up going back to the more practical slide-out keyboard type phones while the novelty of the touch screen and watching little videos on their phone will wear off for people who are jumping on the bandwagon now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

finally my nokia 3510i is back in fashion!

Advertisement