Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just threaded a front brake cable tightener ...

Options
  • 15-11-2008 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just threaded the receiver for the screw that tightens the cable attachment to the front brake (hope that makes sense :o). Seemed a bit weak as was only giving it a standard about of pressure when the screw threaded it, bloody annoying though to have it break.

I took the problem area apart and found the piece that's been threaded. Here's a pic of the front brakes: http://www.tektro.com/02products/09rb.php its the old edition of the R520.

What's the best option here? Go to LBS and but a replacement piece, will they have the piece I'm looking for - is it commonly stocked?

Many thanks in advance,
    72oo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

threaded? you mean stripped the thread?
    dunno if it'd be commonly stocked, but they might have an old one they could give/sell/lend you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

kenmc wrote: »
    threaded? you mean stripped the thread?
    dunno if it'd be commonly stocked, but they might have an old one they could give/sell/lend you.

Yeah stripped the thread.

I might give Cycleways a go Monday and see what can be done. TBH annoyed with it / myself - such a small thing and now have to visit LBS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Ah I stripped the thread on my front derailleur before, ended up buying a new one. Easily done.

penexpers wrote: »
    Ah I stripped the thread on my front derailleur before, ended up buying a new one. Easily done.

The whole deraileur?

I could buy a new front brake but €20 for a stripped thread doesn't make much sense. Hopefully can just replace the small screw and receiver that's damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

72hundred wrote: »
    The whole deraileur?

I could buy a new front brake but €20 for a stripped thread doesn't make much sense. Hopefully can just replace the small screw and receiver that's damaged.

Yeah the whole derailleur. It was the clamp threads that I stripped so no way it could be replaced on it's own.

• Advertisement

penexpers wrote: »
    Yeah the whole derailleur. It was the clamp threads that I stripped so no way it could be replaced on it's own.

Sh^te, its annoying when the whole thing has to be replaced just because a little piece within it is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

72hundred wrote: »
    The whole deraileur?

I have the tektro brake I took off my Langster -you'd be welcome to it if you want?

I have the tektro brake I took off my Langster -you'd be welcome to it if you want?

PM sent!

Advertisement