Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gret Ocean Road Trip

Options
  • 15-11-2008 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi, 5 of us heading to Oz for New Years. Goin takin a car in Melbourne and doing the must do 'Great Ocean Road Trip' after. Any ideas how far you need to go along the coast and how long it uaually takes. Going heading to Ayres Rock after so should we keep driving to Adelaide and catch a plane up or return to Melbourne and get a plane from there? Help pls:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Hi, 5 of us heading to Oz for New Years. Goin takin a car in Melbourne and doing the must do 'Great Ocean Road Trip' after. Any ideas how far you need to go along the coast and how long it uaually takes. Going heading to Ayres Rock after so should we keep driving to Adelaide and catch a plane up or return to Melbourne and get a plane from there? Help pls:confused:

If I was you I would keep going to Adelaide. No point turning around and covering road already travelled. Its not that long a drive, I think it took us about three days from Melbourne To Adelaide. But obviously it depends on how much driving you want to do each day, or how much you are going to be stopping off in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭DoraExplora

Leaving Sydney 2nd Jan, got 5 wks to do the ring Sydney/melbourne/Ayres Rock/Carins. Was told it only takes 3 hours to get to the Twelve Apostles frm melbourne, so hadnt planned on any stopovers, Want to save time for coming down the East Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Yerac

3 hours sounds a bit optimistic to me and a lot of the way includes very twisty roads. Great views but won't speed up the journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

It takes about 4 hrs to get to the 12 apostles. As Alanmurphy said your better off going on to Adelaide, especially if you've seen Melbourne.
    You could drive to Adelaide in about 8-10 hours from Melbourne, but that'd be without stopping and taking anything in. A 3 day trip sounds like it's about right!

Advertisement