Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things I never learned in school.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

The Papal States supported William of Orange in the battle of the Boyne. It was due to the geo-political make up of the time. Most of the German states supported William of Orange as well. It was a case of France being the premier power of the day, they supported King James and every other nation in Europe opposed the French as they were becoming the premier power in Europe and as a result the Westphalian system was under threat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

Shows how biased Irish people can be when it comes to religion and politics.

The fact that the Catholic church supported William of Orange at the battle of the Boyne.

And the same churches backing of the Anglo-Norman invasion.

Surely you were not paying attention in school?...I went to school years ago in Ireland and I knew this stuff for History for Leaving Cert. Laudabiliter - Pope Adrian IV - were commonly referred to as part of the Anglo-Norman invasion.

I will say that the Catholic Church's role in the fall of Parnell was somewhat overlooked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Disagree tbh westair, it was studied in fair detail (church's role in Parnell's fall).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

Disagree tbh westair, it was studied in fair detail (church's role in Parnell's fall).

Happy to hear that! When I did Leaving - back in the day - they glossed over it completely and put the emphasis on Gladstone's failure to continue support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

westair wrote: »
    Surely you were not paying attention in school?...I went to school years ago in Ireland and I knew this stuff for History for Leaving Cert. Laudabiliter - Pope Adrian IV - were commonly referred to as part of the Anglo-Norman invasion.

I will say that the Catholic Church's role in the fall of Parnell was somewhat overlooked though.

It was NEVER mentioned from junior infants to leaving cert not once did I hear of either of these concepts.. I only learned of them through my own initative.

Catholic Church and Parnell was dealt with in detail however.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

It was NEVER mentioned from junior infants to leaving cert not once did I hear of either of these concepts.. I only learned of them through my own initative.

Catholic Church and Parnell was dealt with in detail however.

That is really interesting - I am truly surprised, why do you think this is so? Back in my school days the role of the church in the initial invasion, specifically Adrian IV's papal bull, was gone into very well. Also the meddling role of the church in the Confederation of the 1640s - prior to their Williamite stand - was also gone into.

The Catholic Church's role in the fall of Parnell was very pernicious and was barely mentioned. So I am surprised that you did this and not the others - which is the opposite to my experience. In my school days the older "Roman" church was usually depicted as distant and less concerned with Ireland whereas the "Irish church" - established from the mid nineteenth century - was less likely to be criticized in the school history books.

I would be interested in why you or anyone else thinks this is so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

I think my primary schooling and junior cert is to blame for this oversight in education... We actually covered Irish history in great detail in primary school and up to third year except for the nastier aspects of the church which were ignored. However in secondary school the church came in for criticism for the whole Parnell thing but we never did medieval history for that cycle.

Advertisement