Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ages of WHV

Options
  • 14-11-2008 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Just purely out of curiosity, what age were you when you arrived in Oz/NZ on a WHV

I'm restricting it to WHV.

Please if you are Oz/Kiwi what age were you when you landed in ireland/england on your first WH ...

What age were you when you arrived on Working Holiday 22 votes

18-20
    0% 0 votes
    21-23
    4% 1 vote
    23-25
    36% 8 votes
    26-28
    27% 6 votes
    29-31
    31% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

waited until i finished college, did a year work to try to get cash together, and headed over.

Wanted to go for a full year - but cut it short with 6mo unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Was born in the old country and really grew up in London where I attended the University of Hard Knocks. I have lived most of my adult life in other countries such as the Netherlands and United States.

I came to Australia about a decade ago and apart from a few stints to various places such as Singapore and Japan haven't really been back to Europe or Stateside where my brother got married a few weeks ago :(

Ultimately I could see myself living in Alicante in Spain where my parents reside. The average temp is about 25 degrees and it only gets about five days of rain per year. Not only that but I love Spanish cuisine, culture, sangria and of course the people who are as warm and welcoming as Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

I was 21, had just finished college and got some money for my 21st. I thought, 'I've an Aunt in Sydney I haven't seen in 10 years, why not?' and off I went.

Was only going to go for 3 months but ended up staying 8. Then met my partner and the rest is history. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

first time in nz, i was 18, got my visa when i was 19, and travelled that year. am now 20. didnt last long doing the college thing, and i figured i was the right age to throw caution to the wind, and see if this whole love thing would work out on the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Dirty Frank

...see if this whole love thing would work out on the other side of the world.

Heh! Love thing bit me on the a5s in Ireland, worked like mad for a month and saved up enough for the ticket. I left 3 weeks after deciding to go. (I'm 21)

• Advertisement

awww. sorry man.

i flew over twice before getting my WHV. am i the process of getting my visa to stay for another year now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Drawing Dead

21. walked out the university doors, degree in one hand, tickets in the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Same as for me at 21. Graduated in November left in January (I'm not a WHV though).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I is 24 - although I don't think I count really. I came on the WHV but only so I could get here and then apply for residency. I'm not really doing the working holiday visa thing. I basically do what I did in Ireland - live and work and stuf. The difference is my holidays are to more exotic places!

yeah, im kinda doing the same. since march 07, i was here for two weeks, then 6 weeks, then on dec 28th, arrived here on my WHV... over that entire time, i've spent one night in akaroa, and one in kaikoura... and ive visited the museum here, as well as the aquarium.

and that's ALL ive done on a tourist basis. ive just kinda lived, worked, and gone to gigs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I was 26 when I got to Oz on my WHV (now 27 and on a 457 visa). Waited until I finished college before heading off. Reading this thread makes me feel serioulsy old! Maybe I can be the Grandad of the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

26. Got ****ed off with college and rain and miserable bastards, packed in the lot and got a 12 month. might see about sponsorship at some stage. in Brisbane for another few months first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Did the America working holiday twice in '03 &'04.
    Then came to NZ in Oct '06, I was 26 at the time.

Its now Nov '08, I'm still here. I'm now on my 2nd work permit/visa through work.

Met a kiwi girl, so sticking around :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Left Ireland June 2006 and arrived in Oz August 2006. Left Oz in March 2008 after getting the 2nd WHV. Returned to college in September and plan when I finish all this study to go back out to live. I miss it so much! :(

Oh, 24 when I arrived in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

25 here. 26 in feb. been here since end of july.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Well guys

I must be the oldest out of all you .

First time was end of 2000 for a year WHV .

Meet my now wife then but had to return home to Ire end of 2001 .

Did the whole long distance thing over the next few years .

Retuned in 2004 spent as much time as i could .

Then returned in 2006 and got married in Melb

Then last time was 2007 for my mother in-laws Birthday

We're back here in Ire at the moment but hope to return to Oz in the very near future to live full time.

Can't wait love every thing about the place .

Advertisement