Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A thought on a cheap bicycle park lot ,on any street.

Options
  • 14-11-2008 10:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

Hi ,I am posting this before I forget about it :D

Just had a thought there the other day ,on how to create a cheap and effective way of parking bikes.

Basically it would consist of large cubicles of about three foot wide and about 12 abreast.Obviously high enough for people to walk into and long enough for bikes.
    But I thought the trick to this working ,would be if special padlocks that would suit the cublicles ,could be sent out to people who register for one.
    Each padlock could have a special serial number ,so in the event of someone leaving there bike behind. The appropriate person could be contacted.

If none of the above makes sense ,then I apologise for wasting your time. I will make a drawing of my idea ,if somebody seen fit.
    I think it would be a relatively cheap way of providing this service and would guarantee bike security etc.
    Also it would be virtually maintenace free and cost the government a pittance for the good feedback they'd get.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You could make them out of refurbished portaloos.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

special locks ?
    sounds like the weak point if it turns out they have a weakness like the old kryptonite's and pens.

one I liked was to have strong chains welded to bike racks, so you just carry a lock with you and less fumbling with chains

what is desirable is something to keep the rain off and some guide around the outside so blind people don't walk into bikes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Hey ,thanks for replying.

My idea is not practical I suppose ,with the midnight pee-ple using the cube's as porta poos.

I always thought perspex roofed ,bike racks would be cool.
    They wouldn't block out any street light and the obstruction would be merely the racks themselves.
    The chains sound like a great idea ,I think if a rack was designed in such a way as to promote openess ,it would be harder for thieves to hide what they were doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,049 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

How about airborne bike racks?

Would just be like "horns" you get on a car rack but with welded on (beefy) chains as suggested.

If the horns were five feet off the ground there would be no way to get leverage off the ground for boltcroppers, and a simple "chain guard" plate would prevent use of the wall for same.

Or else a vertical hanger with the chains near the top for putting through the wheel inside the rear triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

The have some awesome bike racks in France that basically consist of a hook in a wall, and a U loop . When you hook the top wheel in, the U-loop naturally falls somewhere near the seatpost and naturally comes up far enough that you can lock it to the frame.

I know it sounds really theivable (because the lock comes in at a reasonable height) but there's nothing really to lever against except the lock itself and it seems to work quite well. And the usually install loads of them in the same place...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

As usual, the japanese have the most elaborate and futuristic solution:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Freewheeling Ed

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

looks mad..

could it work in Dublin.. I would imagine it would work like this...

Quote for €6 million to build it, but ends up costing €60 million.
    While building it , they realise a design error means 2 wheeled bicycles cannot use it so the government bans 2 wheel bicycles and the price of unicycles rockets.

When testing the system, they realise the software to operate the system is inefficient, so in some cross department collorabation they get the HSE IT team to develope the software... Add another €60 million to the cost.

When it opens, Dublins unicyclists are overjoyed.. but the happyness does not last long, when it is discovered that if you return to get your unicycle after normal working hours, it will be closed, as Dublin corproation workers refuse to work after 4.30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

They really have no limits ,at least we have people on the planet who care:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

http://www.biceberg.es/INGLES/index.htm

Expensive to construct but pays for itself through attached advertising displays and a subscription for users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

The Bitrix

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

OP... Maybe the bike lockers at LA transit, I mean, transport hubs. As seen on the picture here... http://www.metro.net/riding_metro/bikes/bikes_racks_lockers.htm

But I'd say they're only suitable for such hubs like train/bus/tram stations, and not for on-street installation.

Advertisement