Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will the history of the Internet be taught in schools ?

Options
  • 14-11-2008 2:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭

Having just read over the history of this very website and looked at some of the early posts, I find it extremely interesting to see how internet sites and/or various phenomenons on the net have come about.
    From the usenet community in the late 80's and through the 90's to all the computer game message boards. I've always enjoined reading up on how forums came about, their structures, themes and sort of the rules of engagement as it were. There's stuff like the lolcats/caturday pics which I think came from the 4chan message board but they're used nearly everywhere.

I'm sure stuff like the "dot.com bubble" and that is taught in Business or Economics courses but I'm thinking about how the Internet became what it is today. I don't know, maybe there's all sorts of degrees on studying the history of it but I was just wondering would it taught in schools

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Having just read over the history of this very website and looked at some of the early posts, I find it extremely interesting to see how internet sites and/or various phenomenons on the net have come about.
    From the usenet community in the late 80's and through the 90's to all the computer game message boards. I've always enjoined reading up on how forums came about, their structures, themes and sort of the rules of engagement as it were. There's stuff like the lolcats/caturday pics which I think came from the 4chan message board but they're used nearly everywhere.

I'm sure stuff like the "dot.com bubble" and that is taught in Business or Economics courses but I'm thinking about how the Internet became what it is today. I don't know, maybe there's all sorts of degrees on studying the history of it but I was just wondering would it taught in schools

I think you made a very interesting point. And yes I do believe that this will be - and ought to be - a subject in the years to come. Scholars of history study broadsheets and letters and other forms of mass communication to get a sense for particular periods. The internet - including forums like this - is integral to an understanding of our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

How much were you taught about television in school? Radio? telegram? It will be like that. When you get to uni level, communication becomes interesting ito globalisation and other historical issues, but not for themelves.

Advertisement