Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclocross bike for long-legged short woman

Options
  • 14-11-2008 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for the perfect bike for my wife as Christmas present.

She is inexperienced and wants something relaxing to ride. She would prefer a crappy hybrid thing, but I want her to get a road bike as they're much lighter and faster.

I've concluded that the best compromise is a cyclocross bike with auxiliary brake levers, like the Focus Mares 2009. I'd probably stick fat (slick) road tyres on it for speed.

The problem is that she's short (5'2"), with long legs (32" trouser) but short arms (haven't measured, but I could deffo outreach her in a fist fight).

If I get her a small frame, she'll need a long seatpost, and will find the drop uncomfortable.

If I get her a larger frame she'll be overreaching, even with a short stem.

I'm also concerned about toe/wheel overlap on a small frame with 700c wheels.

Ideas so far:

- Stick an ultra-short stem on the medium Focus Mares.

- Get the small Focus Mares and add forks with an extra-long (450mm) steering tube to reduce the drop. Means I'll end up with a spare set of forks, and greater expense, and it might look and handle a bit weirdly with a few inches of spacers. Also, some 450mm forks have a small max stack height.

- Get the small Focus Mares and use a riser stem (e.g. adjustable stem at 45 degrees).

- Buy a junior cyclocross bike and stick auxiliary brake levers on it. Problem is that the frame might be too small, requiring some of the above bodges.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Lumen wrote: »
    short arms (haven't measured, but I could deffo outreach her in a fist fight).

You legend :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

She would prefer a crappy hybrid thing, but I want her to get a road bike as they're much lighter and faster.

Why not get her what she wants?

If she'd have trouble finding a stock frame to fit you should consider getting her a custom frame e.g. a Chas Roberts. It's the least you could do ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

You wouldn't just put flat bars regular levers and bar ends?
    Would be nice on that Focus.

Figure out what she's going to use it for and then choose. Is she going on training runs with you? or does she want pannier racks and mudguards?

My girlfriend wanted to try mountain biking so we organized a trip and after we climbed the first hill, wouldn't speak to me for days for "putting her through that". :o) All some people want sometimes is a nice city bike with a shopping basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Morgan wrote: »
    Why not get her what she wants?

Because the hybrid city bikes we looked at (with step-through frames) were very heavy, and in my own experience whilst hybrids seem appealing for a novice, after a few months you end up wanting a proper bike.
    Morgan wrote: »
    If she'd have trouble finding a stock frame to fit you should consider getting her a custom frame e.g. a Chas Roberts. It's the least you could do ;).

Yeah, I could go down the custom steel framed route, but don't really want to spend €2000 on the bike.
    studiorat wrote: »
    You wouldn't just put flat bars regular levers and bar ends? Would be nice on that Focus.

Do you mean grip shifters? Would those work on a 105-equipped bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

5'2 isn't short ... i am trying to picture your wife in my head and what, as an inexperienced woman cyclist she would like ... I think you should stick to what she wants. You also mentioned you have kids, I think it would be a good idea that you get a bike she could potentially also ride with a child without feeling too insecure.
    Get a her a very good hybrid!! Like a Specialized Sirrus (??) or something and when she's ready and if she wants to, you can get her new handle bars.

• Advertisement

Do you mean grip shifters? Would those work on a 105-equipped bike?

Or brake levers and trigger shifters. I don't see why they wouldn't work as long as you used the same number of gears.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=1811

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11970

studiorat wrote: »
    Or brake levers and trigger shifters. I don't see why they wouldn't work as long as you used the same number of gears

105 is 10 speed, XTR is 9 speed (I think).

In any case, I think the main issue is the long legs/short arms combo giving an uncomfortable drop or reach on a road/cyclocross bike.

Maybe Caroline is right - I should just get a quality hybrid.

Maybe Caroline is right - I should just get a quality hybrid.

Right bike bike for the right job, rather than something exotic IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

i think that trying to adapt a non female-specific frame would never give a great result given the lady's proportions. most men with a 32" in-seam are at least 6 inches taller than her.

if she's a novice cyclist chances are she'd be a bit intimidated by drop bars too. they all seem to be. conversions are possible down the line if she does decide to get aero, so i'd be looking at hybrids if i were you.

evans have a good range of woman spec hybrids. this looks nice to me, though it does seem that you don't get as much for your money in the lady's bike dptartment (probably due to market share etc.)

niceonetom wrote: »
    evans have a good range of woman spec hybrids. this looks nice to me, though it does seem that you don't get as much for your money in the lady's bike dptartment (probably due to market share etc.)

I agree ... maybe you can take her to the specialized shop @ 53 degrees north in Blanch shopping centre, they have a few of them on display ... see if she likes them ( pretend you're going for yourself to keep the xmas surprise ... mind you, she's a woman so, she will probably know what you are up to)

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    this looks nice to me, though it does seem that you don't get as much for your money in the lady's bike dptartment (probably due to market share etc.)

Yeah, the Specialized Vita Comp seems to be their top of the range women's hybrid. £700 for Tiagra is a bit steep - that's about the same price as the Focus Mares with 105.

I think I'll take her for a bike fitting and find out exactly what geometry she needs.

maybe you can take her to the specialized shop @ 53 degrees north in Blanch shopping centre, they have a few of them on display ... see if she likes them

Thanks - I didn't know this shop existed!

Thanks - I didn't know this shop existed!
    On the 3nd floor! they used to have loads of road bikes, but i guess they realised there wasn't as much interrested for road bikes and brought ion a load of mountain and hybrid ... or maybe it's just for the winter months ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Yeah, the Specialized Vita Comp seems to be their top of the range women's hybrid. £700 for Tiagra is a bit steep - that's about the same price as the Focus Mares with 105.
    Specialized will be more expensive than Focus at more or less any spec point. Very different bikes too.

I agree, a fast hybrid sounds like the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

As said above, the quick answer is get her what she wants!

However, assuming she wants the bike for sport rather than transport (where a hybrid would be a better-seeming choice)... and she's inexperienced does this mean you will probably be out on spins together? Just wondering because even with a good bike she won't be able to keep up with you and it might be frustrating for both of you.

Perhaps a touring bike would be best?? Decent exercise rather than sport and you can enjoy it together. If she gets the cycling bug (and who doesn't get it) you can make the step up to a sportier bike in the future.

PS Sorry to comment as if I know you/her, I'm just relating my own experience.

*edit: Or get a mountainbike. That's great craic and great exercise.

oobydooby wrote: »
    does this mean you will probably be out on spins together? Just wondering because even with a good bike she won't be able to keep up with you and it might be frustrating for both of you.

Yeah, I should really buy a tandem.

Advertisement