Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Model Railway in Killarney.... Where has it gone?

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭

Like the topic states....

I can remember a massive model railway behind o connors news agents across from tesco in the town centre a few years back and thought i would bring my son to see it when i was down that neck of the woods recently... and to my surprise, it has closed down.

Anyone know if its been moved any where else... it was a brilliant display!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Its been gone from there for a few years now, not sure if it has moved or not.

If you are interested in trains and are coming to Kerry you may want to check this out http://homepage.eircom.net/~lartiguemonorail/ something pretty unique these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

As far as i remember it was just closed down - It didn't generate as much business or interest as previously thought it would. It has been gone ith the last few years now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

It went to model railway heaven:p:o.Pity its gone,it was a really nice exibit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Thanks for the reply lads, i didn't know it was gone that long!

Thanks for the link too 440Hz... must check that out too next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

There is a nice "real life" model rail village in Clonakilty, west Cork. Miniature buildings and miniature train. My kids love to go there any time we go to visit the grandparents.

• Advertisement

dh0661 wrote: »
    There is a nice "real life" model rail village in Clonakilty, west Cork. Miniature buildings and miniature train. My kids love to go there any time we go to visit the grandparents.

Thanks for the headsup, ive brought the kids there before too... it is really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

Does the steam train still run from near the aqua dome to the windmill?

Only during the summer, as far as I know. Maybe during the winter for maintains purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

fastrac wrote: »

NO thats over now as well. Problems with the engine and couldnt get the parts was the last I heard, but I think it was more that they couldn't justify repairing it due to lack of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

440Hz wrote: »
    NO thats over now as well. Problems with the engine and couldnt get the parts was the last I heard, but I think it was more that they couldn't justify repairing it due to lack of business.
    I think i heard that alright,the should have continued on to dingle!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

The Tralee/Blennerville railway is defunct and has been out of use for several years now. See link below for up-to-date information. :)

http://blog.tralee.org/2008/03/16/the-current-state-of-the-tralee-dingle-railway/

The Tralee/Blennerville railway is defunct and has been out of use for several years now. See link below for up-to-date information. :)

http://blog.tralee.org/2008/03/16/the-current-state-of-the-tralee-dingle-railway/

In all fairness!... that is a sad site to see the rusting body of the train! :mad:

I remember being on that train when it first opened in the 90's on a school tour.

I hope Tralee council get that up and running again in the future! - I bet if that railway was in Killarney it wouldn't have ended up like that!

fastrac wrote: »

Started again today, for 4 weeks AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

dh0661 wrote: »
    Started again today, for 4 weeks AFAIK.

If, indeed, anything is running on the line at Blennerville I am absolutely certain that there is no steam locomotive involved.

Advertisement