Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Advice (Tyres & Brakes Again!)

Options
  • 14-11-2008 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭

Ok will try to keep this very quick!

Need to stop neglecting my hybrid and clean it up/repair for winter -
    2 things I need to sort out are a set of decent tyres - after having 3 punctures in 2 days - and on the last one through not being carefull and a bit p*ssed off I ripped a tyre with a tyre lever grr...

Anyway, will prob get a set of 25mm Gatorskins (seem to get good enough reviews) from chainreaction, but am confused about difference between wire and folding. searched around and it seems that wire seem to can be made from cheaper materials (not sure if this is correct) and generally it depends on the tyre which is better - so my question is with regards to gatorskins - which is best (materials); which are easier to fit and will they both be able to go on standard hybrid rims?

Second point is - I need a decent set of brake pads as my pads are almost completely worn. I have standard V brakes and wonder is it better to get an all in one pad (i.e. combined holder and pads) or seperate, with changeable pads. I am concered that with changable, its one more thing to er break (no pun intended!) - if anyone can offer some suggestions it would be much appreciated!

Sorry to turn into one of these peeps that ask about everything, but I dont want to spend 50+quid on stuff to find out I bought the wrong gear!
    thanks,
    km

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Folding vs wire: AFAIK no difference in the tyre itself, other than one has a kevlar bead around the rim where it goes onto the wheel, and the other has a solid wire bead. The kevlar bead allows it to fold (can carry a spare one in your pocket in case you rip one) and is lighter. They will both fit the same wheels. I use folding cos they're easier to get home from work where they do be delivered, and are lighter.

Brakes: I use replacable pads, never had one break.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

i use folding tyres because it is easier to put them on the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Go for replaceable pads. They are seriously convenient. Set em up once properly and after that it's just a matter of twiddling with the barrel adjuster as they wear away. When you want to replace them, retighten/loosen? the adjuster, slide in the new pads and no hassle. Bleedin handy.

Advertisement