Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth mouse & keyboard good range?

Options
  • 13-11-2008 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I'm hoping that some of you techies can advise me. I'm looking for a wireless mouse & keyboard to run with a laptop & projector in a clasroom setting. I'd like the pupils to have plenty of input in the lessons & hope to be able to pass around the mouse and/or keyboard for them to use. Obviously the range would have to be good, as I'd like the pupils at the back of the classroom to have a go too.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fishy1

Anyone?

Pleeeeease? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

What distance are you talking eg dimensions of room?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

bluetooth range is generally 10m or 30ft but thats not always a good approx after about 6 to 8m things can start getting laggy which wouldnt be good for a mouse i have a dell bluetooth mouse and ill test it and get back to you

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Get a wireless signal transmitter for the projector and you could just pass the laptop around, something like sonys airshot..the new projector will set ye back a few grand though:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,185 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

No definitive answer for what has better response and range: Wireless or Bluetooth.

I guess the next time Im in best buy Ill give a rep the runaround to do an on-site trial of each.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Depends on the size of the class room. If it ws a standard enough secondry school sized class room a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse should do the trick no bother at all to it. But if its a lecture hall made for 300 people it mightn't work.

I find mine will work a fair distance a way, through walls and the lot, but if it has to go through my pc, performance decreases massively

See if Argos have any, test it out, If it doesnt work return it under there 16 day money back Guarantee.

Hi again,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The classroom is a prefab :rolleyes:. Approximate range needed would be 12 metres, so it looks like a bluetooth mouse/keyboard might work.
    I checked the Argos catalogue as advised, but I can't see any bluetooth mouse listed. I also tried my local PC World, to no avail.
    One of you mentioned a Dell bluetooth mouse. Would that be compatible with an Acer laptop? Where else could I try? Irish suppliers if possible as I'm anxious to get started asap.
    Thanks for all your suggestions so far. Hopefully you'll be able to help to get me up & running soon!

Me again !
    Now that bluetooth seems to be an option, another possible problem . . . . would the laptop have to be bluetooth enabled?
    I don't think mine is.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,185 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

yes it would. you can get bluetooth devices that will give it bluetooth function though; usually a USB device.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'm still trying to source a bluetooth mouse and keyboard. No joy with Argos or the local PC World. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement

Thanks Munstercycling. I had looked through the Argos catalogue, but couldn't see any with bluetooth. Excuse my ignorance, but how would I know if the keyboards are bluetooth? It doesn't seem to say it on the ones you've suggested, but obviously they are !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭BlindedByGInge

Fishy1 i would say go and buy a medium price wireless keyboard and mouse, these would have average signal strength, 10-20 metres, these are nearly all bluetooth anyway just the strength of the transmitter in the device would detirmine how far away u could go with them.
    dont look for bluetooth mice, look for wireless mice, as i dont think there are much or forms of short range wireless devices

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

As regards wireless V BT, I changed my wireless desktop to BT (Logitech S510 to Logitech DiNovo Laser) and the difference in range and more importantly lack of stutter and drop out when using from maximum range was very impressive.
    Through walls and ceilings there is no comparison...BT only.

MunsterCycling's argos links are NOT BT enabled...merely wireless.
    Any BT enabled device will make a point of it in the model name/number and will usually have the BT logo someplace on the box and the keyboard/mouse themselves.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/keyboards/keyboard_mice_combos/&cl=gb,en

Only two on that page are BT enabled.

As for your laptop being BT ready...doesn't need to be, as most sets will include a transmitter usually USB .
    My local PC world definitely had the MX5500 although they were looking silly money for it. Dell make a set, don't know if they sell them without a PC though.

Despite what the title of the thread says the OP asked for wireless mice and keyboards, tbh BT sucks eggs in comparison to proper wireless keyboards/mice, the Logitech ones are particularly good. Have even got an Advent set from PC World (their own brand) that has great battery life (has an on/off switch) and even better range, OP I'd look more for a Wireless set than a Bluetooth set as they will be more reliable and not open up the possibility of Bluetooth connections being made available to the class depending on what BT profiles the adaptor supports.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭daftdave

if you operate your laptop and projector from the centre of the classroom then you would have a 10m distance all around you which should work with no lag propblems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

tbh BT sucks eggs in comparison to proper wireless keyboards/mice,

How so? Apart from some initial connection issues and their thirst for batteries, I find the range is far and beyond any wireless kb/mouse I've used.
    Define "proper ones" BTW...you mean not IR?

Good point on the BT security thing in a classroom though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Despite what the title of the thread says the OP asked for wireless mice and keyboards, tbh BT sucks eggs in comparison to proper wireless keyboards/mice, the Logitech ones are particularly good. Have even got an Advent set from PC World (their own brand) that has great battery life (has an on/off switch) and even better range, OP I'd look more for a Wireless set than a Bluetooth set as they will be more reliable and not open up the possibility of Bluetooth connections being made available to the class depending on what BT profiles the adaptor supports.

MC

Ive got a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse and can use it up to 100 meters away like to see any Ir versions do the same or any thing near that

IR WOW thats a blast form the 80s hoff, no the wireless versions I'm talking about use RF.

Experience should tell the OP if the class will be up to mischief with the possibility of the BT connection leaving the door open, but I'm sure you agree that it is probable that the kids will try... it would be expected ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

If he does get a Bt setup he will have to just make sure he changes the default password on his Bt dongle

• Advertisement
Advertisement