Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are fixies fast?

Options
  • 13-11-2008 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭

Hey all!
    Thinking about getting a fixie with a front brake. I've no experience of them but I like the simplicity etc. Are they fast? Are they difficult to get up to speed from lights? I do a lot of cycling and these are pretty important considerations. Current bike is a Specialized Hardrock which I often cycle from Foxrock into town and back. I'm well able to keep the speed up on this route and am just wondering if a fixie would be better suited to the inner city.
    Sound.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I probably pass (or get passed by you) each day then.

I have only the two bikes, a road bike and a singlespeed (lets not get into the debate of why I dont yet flip it over and go fixed).

Im probably faster on my commute on the singlespeed because I dont have the choice to sit back in an easier gear.

There is also the energy saved from not having mechanical loss throught a complicated gear derailleur system.

It's more the low maintenance/Zen/Cool factor that should persuade you to go faster rather than outright speed. I can go fairly quick on it uphill but spin out easily on the downhill, a tricycle could pass me out. Some windy day you will curse the lack of gears also.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

They are fast if the rider is fit and strong.
    In other words, if you are already fast, then you will be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    They are fast if the rider is fit and strong.
    In other words, if you are already fast, then you will be fine :)

Or if you've got big leg muscles like me, then you can be fast -all depends how quickly you can spin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It depends on the terrain and your gearing really; if you are fit they will likely be only slightly slower than an equivalent geared bike over mixed terrain. I would imagine a road-type fixie would be faster than your current Hardrock, a lot faster if you have knobblies. The main issue you will find with a fixie cycling from Foxrock to town is probably going to be the spinning on the downhill on the way in; having said this it will certainly develop your cadence. I commute on mine from Ranelagh to Sandyford and often take it up the mountains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

They're as fast as you can pedal 'em.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

On the MTB vs Fixed question, I cycled my single-speed MTB in today as my fixed-gear road bike had a flat. Same gearing on each [44 x 16] and the road bike was much quicker overall. Starting from a standstill is fine.

Also, the fix is a lot of fun to ride :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

44x16 mtb ! Sheesh, that must be tough going offroad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

MMMmmm asuming fixies are used to break speed records on the track ( and off the track too ) one could assume, they are in fact, designed for speed!

I guess it depends how fit you are and how fast you pedal ...

However, some people ( for example, those who are sabbotage-ing the whole fixie and using it as single speed ) may not be as fast as some others ...

... Now a game: Who would be faster in a fixie race?

- Blorg v Raam ?
    - Tiny v Tonto ?
    - Dirkvoodoo v Verb ?

I'm afraid myself and Unionman have racing rights, we are only allowed to race each other. I'd need his permission to race someone else.

I think some track racing would sort it all out come the summer.

p.s. I would crush my enemies, see them fall behind me, and hear the lamentation of the women

I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't replaced my worn cog, so I'm still running a freewheel :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

Verb wrote: »
    44x16 mtb ! Sheesh, that must be tough going offroad

Tbh I have been using her almost exclusively on the road, via commute. I wouldn't want to be taking too many off-road hills on her :)

MMMmmm asuming fixies are used to break speed records on the track ( and off the track too ) one could assume, they are in fact, designed for speed!

I guess it depends how fit you are and how fast you pedal ...

However, some people ( for example, those who are sabbotage-ing the whole fixie and using it as single speed ) may not be as fast as some others ...

... Now a game: Who would be faster in a fixie race?

- Blorg v Raam ?
    - Tiny v Tonto ?
    - Dirkvoodoo v Verb ?

We've had one go on the track, and I beat Tonto... and I've beaten Blorg as well on the fixie... Raam, you're next -I want to be 'Fastest man on boards'tm

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We've had one go on the track, and I beat Tonto... and I've beaten Blorg as well on the fixie... Raam, you're next -I want to be 'Fastest man on boards'tm

I'll give you a rematch now that I've got a bike on which I can chose my own gearing.

I beat Blorg and Emty once on flat ... they were quite tired though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I will never go fixie i tells ya! I pretty much have to spin out on my route in because its a paltry 39x16 ratio.

Caroline mentioned last week about having a fixie day out some saturday (optional of course, gearies or "troglodytes" will not be shunned). This will give us a chance to test the short sprint theory (I doubt I could take many people on boards, I save my ass kicking for the Freds on my way home).

Of course, it will also give us a chance to see the famous pista concept and the equally famous pinstriped rider (not optional im afraid!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Verb wrote: »
    I think some track racing would sort it all out come the summer.

You're on:D
    p.s. I would crush my enemies, see them fall behind me, and hear the lamentation of the women

I would grind your bones into a fine powder on the track, and dissolve it my victory goblet of wine. The women wouldn't be so much lamenting as going "is that fattening unionman?"

el tonto wrote: »
    I'll give you a rematch now that I've got a bike on which I can chose my own gearing.

You're on Sir!

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Of course, it will also give us a chance to see the famous pista concept and the equally famous pinstriped rider (not optional im afraid!).

And Tonto wearing Rapha 3/4 trousers!!!!

Fight fight fight !

Good stuff, I've a new larger chainring en route for muscle building. I suppose I should build my fixed wheel soon to get some fixie practice too.

I have beaten all of yiz (including Raam :D) up hills on the fixie.

• Advertisement

blorg wrote: »

eh, when was that?

yiz

Bleedin Dub. It's yee

Raam wrote: »
    eh, when was that?
    Howth. Admittedly you were not on the fixie :D This one victory is the reason I have never bothered to beat you up a hill since.

Howth. Admittedly you were not on the fixie :D This one victory is the reason I have never bothered to beat you up a hill since.

Get out of town ya chancer! I wan't even trying :)

Advertisement