If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upscaling DVD player for TH42PZ80

Options
  • 13-11-2008 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭

Could you recommend an upscaling dvd player to go with the panny above, I dont know whether I can afford an av receiver at this stage. I need a dvd player in the short term.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

I've an older Panasonic PZ70 (also full HD) and from my experience can highly recommend the Pioneer DV-600.
    The picture quality from this DVD player with a standard DVD is incredible, simply amazing. The DV-600 achieves this with upscaling to 1080P via the HDMI cable. It also has a USB port at the front which is very handy for playing movies from a USB pen-drive and handles almost all of the hi-def audio standards for your future av receiver.

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=23&productid=663

If budget is not as much of an issue then you may want to consider a blu-ray player instead. This will play both existing DVD (with upscaling) and high definition (1080P/24 fps standard) blu-ray movies that are optimised for your tv.

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=3&sub=23&productid=770

This particular model is reviewed here:
    http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/1815

Its only fair to point out that both models have recently been replaced with newer versions, so talk to the lads in Richersounds and I'm sure they'll sort you out. Don't forget to mention boards to avail of the special delivery rates...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

recommend the pioneer as well.

got it as aprt of a 5.1 home cinema kit.

tbh tho, cant really notice much difference with the dvds @ 1080i over hdmi.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ROS123

Thought I had purchased a DVD player 2 weeks ago. I had done a deal with one of the guys from Richer Sounds for an (Onkyo), it was before either of your reccomendations. I have been waiting patiently for it to arrive every day, no sign of it yet. Having difficulty getting through on the phone last few days.

Disapointed because of all the good things being said on here

Was in Xtra vision over the e-end, what about the sony Blu-ray with 6 blue ray dvds on offer. Hope I wont be lynched for mentioing this here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Thats unuual,
    I never had a problem talking to them on the phone.
    Emails always get answered that day
    They usually get their stock from UK on Thursday or Friday.

I would recommend This Blu-Ray Player

Boo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

emails can be slow depending on business of shop to be fair on them, but phone is always best way to go. Presume they get heaps of enquiries every day.

• Advertisement

To be fair to them, I didn't e-mail, just tried to phone a few times a day for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,429 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i found sometimes when they are ultra busy, they must put their time into the shop and can't answer the phones and they have apologised to this effect on here but staff shortage keeps price down. Leave a message and they usually ring back. In fairness, they are great to deal with and have their faults but much much better than other stores

boopolo wrote: »
    Thats unuual,
    I never had a problem talking to them on the phone.
    Emails always get answered that day
    They usually get their stock from UK on Thursday or Friday.

I would recommend This Blu-Ray Player

Boo

boo would you reccomend that over ps3 ? Would I be better buying a PS3 rather that the sony 350 bluray player ?

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.