Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recession will solve drug epidemic

Options
  • 13-11-2008 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭

What do you think?
    I'd say now that all those young well paid punters who were buying all that cocaine will stop now that they're laid off/ less well off. That'll solve all this gun crime etc. Then its back to the good ole days of heroin addicts in sink estates and the less lucrative cannabis trade.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

............................................________
    ....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,
    .............................,.-”...................................“-.,
    .........................,/...............................................”:,
    .....................,?......................................................\,
    .................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ..............?.....__.........................................:`.........../
    ............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../
    .........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`........_/
    ..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}
    ...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../
    ...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`.....}............../
    ............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”
    ............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\
    .............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__
    ,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|..............`=~-,
    .....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\
    ...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__
    .....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``
    ........................................_\..........._,-%.......`\
    ...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I think you're in the clouds if you believe that a recession will slow drug use.Serious drug addicts will get their fix anyway possible and the casual users will just chip in together for smoke & yayo. So no, it isn't going to make a jot of difference.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

.................../...........................................................,}
    ................./......................................................,:`^`..}
    .............../...................................................,:”........./
    ................................`:,,...........................`\..............__

It just expresses so perfectly what I could have said in words but now do not have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Serious drug addicts will carry on as normal. Its just these new occassional cocaine users that will have to scale back.
    If retail sales and new cars, houses are all falling why not cocaine use. Its a luxury item for most users????

As I think about it, maybe the recession will sort out our traffic problems too. Less jobs=less cars. Every cloud...

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

It just expresses so perfectly what I could have said in words but now do not have to.

You just expressed in words what l was going to say , now l don't have to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To be fair, the OP has a point about a decrease in spending affecting "sales" of something like cocaine. To say the recession "won't make a jot of a difference" is hardly accurate.

You're...
    You're beautiful man.
    Hug me.

Dudess wrote: »
    To be fair, the OP has a point about a decrease in spending affecting "sales" of something like cocaine. To say the recession "won't make a jot of a difference" is hardly accurate.

Well it won't really make any difference, the drug industry isn't tied into the national economy. I can't forsee any drug addicts running around shouting about how they "whacked another 3% onto the price of a bag of brown" :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

You're...
    You're beautiful man.
    Hug me.

She's a woman. Yeah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Crystal meth is cheaper, lasts longer and makes you horny as ****. We can ride, literally, the recession out on a deadly buzz and once things turn around we can all go back on the coke or smack or whatever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

You're...
    You're beautiful man.
    Hug me.

l see what you did there..:D
    She's a woman. Yeah.

/a lady, if you don't mind Coraline Whispering Tourism.

Even if l speak like a docker sometimes.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

brilliant

says it all

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Recession proof businesses include:

Drugs and alcohol
    Gambling
    Sex Industry

Oh and undertakers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

DarkJager wrote: »
    Well it won't really make any difference, the drug industry isn't tied into the national economy. I can't forsee any drug addicts running around shouting about how they "whacked another 3% onto the price of a bag of brown" :)
    Oh I know, but there's a correlation between Ireland's increase in wealth and recreational cocaine use... if people are tightening their belts are they going to be as liberal with the coke purchasing of a Saturday night now?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Cocaine will suffer, but weed and pills sales will skyrocket as people look for cheaper ways of having fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

This is Captain Jean Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise if I am not mistaken. Cool! :)

Oh I know, but there's a correlation between Ireland's increase in wealth and recreational cocaine use... if people are tightening their belts are they going to be as liberal with the coke purchasing of a Saturday night now?

Of course they are. The reason people take drugs in the first place is to either alter or escape the reality they live in. With a recession & all the doom and gloom around I'd be surprised if sales didn't come UP (much like the addicts). Unfortunately, there's no sales figures we can get for the drug trade so we'll never know for sure :D

On the other hand, I can see the head shops starting to get a lot more business, if the gardai will ever leave them alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

:-)) :-)) :-)) :-)) :-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-)):-))

Yeah, okay, I'll stop taking drugs then...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

i agree, and if coke sales go down, imo that's a good thing for Irish society.

some people are only too quick to start knockin the bollix out each other because of being unable to handle their booze, and that considered, the arrival of coke was a disaster for the irish psyche.

I won't miss it, or the gobshites that use it

Neesa wrote: »

Yeah, okay, I'll stop taking drugs then...

That is a lot of pills you have there.

• Advertisement

Yes, I'm stocking up before they go off the shelves in March '09

It looks like the makings of a ****in rapid buzz doesn't it?? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

Recession will solve Drug Abuse ? Ged....oud....of...it.
    Bring back Dinny Mullins. He held it in check 30 years ago almost singlehandedly as the State's Official Drugbuster or so they say.....maybe he could do it again if he's still around. He had a couple of sidekicks but can't remember their names.:cool:

I will be down again next Tuesday for a few hours. I will resume non-high speech then.

I will be down again next Tuesday for a few hours. I will resume non-high speech then.
    Epic.

Thats going to be a serious ride on the Skag bus....

• Registered Users Posts: 82,254 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

...ditto.

I really want facepalm to be post of the day tomorrow.
    That is the only way I can foresee that particular forbidden fruit tasting any the sweeter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Crystal meth is cheaper, lasts longer and makes you horny as ****. We can ride, literally, the recession out on a deadly buzz and once things turn around we can all go back on the coke or smack or whatever
    That, my friend, is pure genius.

• Advertisement

Apologies for my ignorance but... what's a "slag"?

Advertisement