Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky installation question - newbie

Options
  • 13-11-2008 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

One of you might know the answer straight away. I have a sneaky feeling though I know the answer already :-(

To the side of my house(2 years old) is a tv cable box. In the box are 4 connections, presumably representing the 3 bedrooms and kitchen cable sockets I have in the house. I think the whole estate uses 1 NTL aerial and all householders feed into this via the junction box to the side of their respective houses. For me in my house only 1 of these connections are actually connected, this must be the one that gives me pictures in living room.

I want to move to sky. When the "sky installer man" comes, will it be possible for him to simply set up satellite, and run cable from satelite to junction box, disconnect the old ntl connections and connect his new sky connection? Sorry about lack of teckie speak here :-)

The reason I ask, I intend getting sky+ for living room and then use my old sky box for bedroom. Due to the orientation of house, the sat would be in the back however my TV is in the front. Not really keen on the idea cable draped across the roof, entering the house from the front never mind setting up connection to the bedroom. It seems to me that it would be a really messy job. I see no way of hiding the cable in the attic either.

As the rooms appear to be already cabled with sockets in each room, can sky piggyback on the same cabling and use the junction box at side of house as the point of entry to the house?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

You may have a problem getting sky+ as it needs 2 cables

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If your in a semi detached then the cable can be run around the eaves/soffit. If you've a terraced house then it may have to go over the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mmmm...

Thanks for replies. didn't even know Sky+ had 2 cables.

So, lets say I go with crosstownk's suggestion of running the cables under the eaves/soffit for my Sky+ installion. Had a look at a few houses in area and it looks like a neat job alright.

The house is a semi dormer bungalow. How easy is it getting the cable to this front upstairs room? Back to my original question, could the original bedroom cabling be used in this instance. i.e. Satellite -> Junction box -> Bedroom. I only intend having normal Sky in this room.

Thanks a lot.

Advertisement