Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cornering technique for slippery roads

Options
  • 13-11-2008 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    What's the best technique (weight balance, steering, braking etc.) to use when cornering on slippery roads (or in general)? I'm always very tentative going around roundabouts, junctions etc., especially when there are road markings, as I don't really know how to approach them. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Well avoid wet road markings as much as you can, they can be lethal.

Be aware of the road conditions. A light showering creates a far more dangerous road than torrential rain. Avoid pedalling while cornering as this will lower traction. Also avoid braking - brake before the corner, before you lean, and only brake again when you've straightened up. If you must brake or change your balance, go for the rear wheel. It's far easier to recover from a rear wheel skid than a front wheel one.

By far the most prudent thing to do though is to drop your speed and reduce your lean. Take the corner wide if conditions and traffic allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

if your turning left, your right leg should be almost straight. This gives more grip.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I just take everything slower. Lower speed and less of a lean. And yes, road markings are to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

you could slow down or you could use it as a chance to practice your power slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

a chance to practice your power slide.

I want videos, if this is the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sometimes I lean the opposite way and keep the bike vertical and turn using the steering alone. Only really works when going slowly but seems to offer less chance of a slide (especially on ice, tar, manhole, paint etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Take it handy, don't pedal on the corner itself, stay in lane, use the back to brake if you mean to continue and the front to brake if you need to stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Err.. don't use a front brake going around a slippy bend if you don't want to eat the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Thanks folks, some good suggestions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Verb wrote: »
    Err.. don't use a front brake going around a slippy bend if you don't want to eat the floor.
    I assume he means, "Straighten up and then use the front brake". Never mind eating floor, I'd love to see someone stop dead in a full lean :D

• Advertisement

you can use the front brake if you use my "keep the bike vertical" cornering technique, it rocks! :D

Though manholes can still jump up and bit you in the ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

paddyb wrote: »
    if your turning left, your right leg should be almost straight. This gives more grip.

Apparently leaning more than the bike itself improves road holding. It seems to, blame Richard Ballentine if this is not so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭ba

using all of the above techniques, i normally move my weight backwards, towards the rear wheel when cornering. increases grip across rear tyre. have yet to fall. in turn i keep weight off the front end. any help?

studiorat wrote: »
    Apparently leaning more than the bike itself improves road holding. It seems to, blame Richard Ballentine if this is not so!

Thats pretty much what I was saying, I try to keep the bike more upright than I am so there is less chance of a slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

anytime i've come off on a slippery bend it's always been because i was nervous and tentative. am i braking to much? am i going to fast? should my weight be on the pedals or on the saddle? argh.... bump. ow. :mad::(:o:rolleyes:

there's a lot of good advice above, but my 2c is that flowing with the bike and keeping things soft and fluid allows the bike to find more grip. being rigid and stiff and gripping the handlebars for dear life doesn't allow you to respond to what the bike is telling you about grip, and doesn't allow you to react fast enough to avoid embarrassment and injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

niceonetom wrote: »
    anytime i've come off on a slippery bend it's always been because i was nervous and tentative. am i braking to much? am i going to fast? should my weight be on the pedals or on the saddle? argh.... bump. ow. :mad::(:o:rolleyes:
    I remember a particularly spectacular hairpin in the Alps, thankfully not on the cliff side :D

Advertisement