Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend child seat for bike

Options
  • 13-11-2008 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭

As my son is about to turn 1 I'd like to get a child seat to attach to my bike (Specialized Sirrus).

CRC have a wide selection.
    The Hamax range looks good.

Anyone have experience with Haxax range or would recommend another brand/model?
    Attaching to the down tube is preferred as it would probably be easier to move between bikes than a pannier based model.

Currently we are good citizens that pick up litter during our daily walks. With the child seat we will use the off-road cycle tracks in Carpenterstown (properly marked and signed ones btw) and "educate" drifting pedestrians. All for a better society ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Mmmmm http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57890480&postcount=1 what about a seat + room for milk, biscuits and toilet roll??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

I looked into child seats a bit. They all conform to the same safety regulations so after that all you're getting is a brand name and perhaps more comfort.

I got the cheapest one in Argos (35.99 I think) and it's been fine so far. Attaches to downtube. I looked at the Hamax ones in Halfords but they were 80 euro or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have a Hamax Sleepy and it's fine.

I think (but am not sure) that the Hamax range splits into two types - the downtube type and the pannier type; not sure these are cross-compatible.

In retrospect, I probably would choose the pannier type. Although the "suspension" probably isn't as good for the child as the downtube type which I have, I'm fed up with carrying my work stuff on my back when commuting.

Also, depending on your legwear your clothing may brush against the downtube mounting. This is annoying. But it doesn't interfere with bottle mounting - I have two bottle cages permanently attached, along with the Hamax mount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Tawny

Never used one myself, but would love to hear opinions regarding front and back fitted child seats. The ones that go just behind the handlebars look much more stable and easier to manage. Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tawny wrote: »
    The ones that go just behind the handlebars look much more stable and easier to manage. Is this true?

Rear seats are not unstable or difficult to manage. You just have to avoid kicking your sprog in the face when you dismount.

I bought a top-tube mounted one to complement my rear one. It doesn't fit - my top tube is too fat. Also, you may have to cycle legs akimbo, which can't be good for the knees.

If you really want something on the front, get one which goes in front of the handlebars, but you'll likely have more handling issues that way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

I use a Hamax one and it works fine. It is a bit arkward to mount/dismount, but any seat in that position will have the same problem. The fastening on the rubber straps over the feet are a bit arkward to close, particularly on a cold morning with gloved hands, but it's not the end of the world. My little girl is nearly five, and it's great to be able to drop her to school on the bike the odd time (but only on 'tracksuit days', not 'uniform days').

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

(but only on 'tracksuit days', not 'uniform days').
    :confused: My interest is piqued. Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

daymobrew wrote: »
    :confused: My interest is piqued. Please explain.
    She wears a uniform tracksuit 2-3 days a week (PE day, dance lessons day) and her skirt/cardigan the other days. The skirt is bloody cold on a bike, and doesn't really work.

Advertisement