Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How accurate is this table?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Approximately 87% accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Morgan wrote: »

yes 87% accurate, but only 62.7% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Morgan wrote: »

That percentage is only 73% accurate though.

Edit: Curse you, NiceOneTom, curse you.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The table is interesting. The rest is just weirdly written.

I would have thought it blindingly obvious that vmax is achieved at the point where aero drag + other losses equal power at the cranks, therefore to achieve more speed you need to make more power over race distance and reduce losses.

I also don't understand the statement lactate threshold cannot be "increased".

That is entirely the point of aerobic training, as I understand it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

Well it's from Coogan and Allen, who are the foremost proponents of power training. They have written the bible on power training. They have taken the figures from the riders they have coached over the years. If you nosey around the Garmin and Saris websites you will find power data from this years Tour de France. I think the figures are accurate.I did a 30min climb a few days ago at 3.8W/kg. If only I could shift a few more kgs ;)

Powermeters are great fun if you like analysing figures :)

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    I also don't understand the statement lactate threshold cannot be "increased".

That is entirely the point of aerobic training, as I understand it.
    Yea I think he is confused on that point. He says that you can't increase you lactate threshold but you can tolerate a higher threshold! eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

could he mean muscular efficiency? supposedly that can barely changed at all. at least not without, ahem, help.

as for lactate, i don't know if the point at which we begin to produce it preferentially can be changed, but our ability to remove it from muscle tissue can be increased (that's more or less the point of interval training right?) - so maybe that's what he getting at with the 'tolerance' thing...

it's an interesting article though.

On reflection, he might have a point. Must consult Joe Friel later :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Diarmuid wrote: »
    On reflection, he might have a point. Must consult Joe Friel later :)

Intersting point on your powermeter. Do you use on? Which one...

Intersting point on your powermeter. Do you use on? Which one...

I have a rented Saris PowerTap Pro for a few months. Only have it a few weeks yet. Trying to build a training plan around it at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 911

@ Diarmuid: Check out the google wattage group, its very good. Coggan, Allen and Stern are all regular contributors. If you are going to ask questions make sure to use the search function first as they get pissed off when the same question are asked repeatedly. "7 deadly sins" is a good place to start. Good luck with the PT, you'll be flying in no time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭scottreynolds

Diarmuid wrote: »
    I have a rented Saris PowerTap Pro for a few months. Only have it a few weeks yet. Trying to build a training plan around it at the moment.

Be intersting for you to post any ideas you have once you have been using it for a while and whether it was worth it.

Advertisement