Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Finished College two monthes ago-still unemployed-dole?

Options
  • 13-11-2008 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,237 ✭✭✭✭

Still living at home though.
    I assume I am still eligible?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭crl84

i went down to the SW office about 4/5 weeks ago, in the same circumstances. did my last exam in the middle of August, looking for a job since, living at home.

the lady in the Social Welfare Office seemed to think I'd be eligible, until I had filled out the forms, and was just about to finalise the application, she noticed that I hadn't worked since leaving college, and hadn't paid anything towards PRSI in 2008

even though I had been working every year up until then, and had enough PSRI stamps in 2006 (the year you need when applying in 2008, it'll be 2007 if you apply next year), she said that because I hadn't got any stamps since leaving college, that I wasn't able to collect Social Welfare Benefit.

she said that I could see about applying for Social Welfare Allowance, but that was based on my living conditions, and parent's income, but I'm pretty sure I'm not entitled to anything under that.

a friend of mine went down to his local SW Office last week, in pretty much the same circumstances, and was able to sign up for JS Benefit with no problems at all, so I don't really know what the story is.

I had assumed that you wouldn't have to work after leaving college as long as you had paid enough PRSI and have enough stamps already built up, but that doesn't seem true in my case.

not sure if the person dealing with mine was wrong, or if my friend just got lucky or what.

perhaps someone who knows could clarify?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

crl84 wrote: »
    i went down to the SW office about 4/5 weeks ago, in the same circumstances. did my last exam in the middle of August, looking for a job since, living at home.

the lady in the Social Welfare Office seemed to think I'd be eligible, until I had filled out the forms, and was just about to finalise the application, she noticed that I hadn't worked since leaving college, and hadn't paid anything towards PRSI in 2008

even though I had been working every year up until then, and had enough PSRI stamps in 2006 (the year you need when applying in 2008, it'll be 2007 if you apply next year), she said that because I hadn't got any stamps since leaving college, that I wasn't able to collect Social Welfare Benefit.

she said that I could see about applying for Social Welfare Allowance, but that was based on my living conditions, and parent's income, but I'm pretty sure I'm not entitled to anything under that.

a friend of mine went down to his local SW Office last week, in pretty much the same circumstances, and was able to sign up for JS Benefit with no problems at all, so I don't really know what the story is.

I had assumed that you wouldn't have to work after leaving college as long as you had paid enough PRSI and have enough stamps already built up, but that doesn't seem true in my case.

not sure if the person dealing with mine was wrong, or if my friend just got lucky or what.

perhaps someone who knows could clarify?

Sounds like a load of absolute b***ocks to me. "Sorry you can't get social welfare because you're not working" is pretty much what she's saying. I would have put her in her place.
    You should explain to them how illogical the approach she outlined is, and if you're unlucky enough to be dealing with the same person, then just ask to speak with someone higher up. Unfortunately it does seem to depend on who you go to at the desk determining what rules apply, numerous friends of mine have got different criteria for dole than others, thankfully in the end my application worked out grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

They make it up as they go along.

When I finished college, i was eligible for the dole due to a one-off exception which allows recent graduates full benefits. Have a look into that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 arlone

jobseekers allowance you're only means-tested when you're under 24, if you are, you add your parents mortgage payments plus 600€ a week 34% of whats left is counted as means. More details on www.welfare.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭TheElf

Dont see why not!,

I just finished college this year, worked 6 months part-time last year. And was given JA straight away when I applied, They did look for my P45 from my job last year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭crl84

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Sounds like a load of absolute b***ocks to me. "Sorry you can't get social welfare because you're not working" is pretty much what she's saying. I would have put her in her place.
    You should explain to them how illogical the approach she outlined is, and if you're unlucky enough to be dealing with the same person, then just ask to speak with someone higher up. Unfortunately it does seem to depend on who you go to at the desk determining what rules apply, numerous friends of mine have got different criteria for dole than others, thankfully in the end my application worked out grand.

yeah it did seem pretty weird alright.
    at the time i was pretty confused because she kept on talking about "special" stamps for 2008, but I haven't paid PRSI this year, but have every year previous to that, and had enough to qualify.
    i rang the SW head office today and they didn't know anything about why someone would have to have worked this year since they left college, as long as they had enough stamps built up previously from 2006.

i'll go down again in the next day or 2 and try again anyway.

Advertisement