Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Jackets

Options
  • 13-11-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend good quality winter cycling jackets that are fully waterproof and warm and reasonably inexpensive?

I'm not willing to fork out crazy money like EUR 200 - 350 which some of them are priced at.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Most cycling jackets are either warm and windproof or light and waterproof. This is probably because no one has yet made a jacket that's fully waterproof and not a bit of a sweat bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

I'm going to try this when it's in stock:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9268
    9268.jpg

Anyone got one?

about £45 / €53

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Needabike

I use a pro race winter jack www.probikekit.com for the cold and if it is raining i just put on my altura reflex waterproof www.wiggle.co.uk .

Impossible to have both I reckon but this is a great compromise.

Works well for me , picked up the altura for €90 in my lbs and the winter jack is near Assos performance for 1/3 of the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I own this and I'm quite happy with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Yep, what they said. You can be wet on the outside, or the inside - take your pick;)

I use Ground Effect stuff from New Zealand. http://www.groundeffect.co.nz/ It's made for their cold wet conditions and has the best windstopper tops and tights - it's a great site for their witty comments - great entertainment and their return policy is fantastic. I have the Ice Queen top and it was brilliant yesterday in Phoenix Park.

Better to be warm and get wet and get changed as soon as you can after getting off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

one thing which i am thinking of picking up is this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=24097

....looks very good but would be interested to hear from anyone who already has one? regarding if its any good.

you could always just pick yourself up a waterproof, breathable and windproof outdoor scene jacket from Arnotts for 10euro;)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Howitzer wrote: »
    I'm going to try this when it's in stock:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9268

Anyone got one?

about £45 / €53

Yes. Good for putting over normal clothes for commuting, but I don't use it any more - I've switched to the windproof cycling jacket + featherweight pocketable rain jacket combo.

lumen, what jackets do you use?

lumen, what jackets do you use?

Bicycle Line Stark Winter Jacket

Zoot Ultra Ether Jacket 'w08

...I think (am a few thousand miles from either right now so can't check).

The major advantage of this approach (suggested by the blorg) is that you can't adjust your warmth/waterproofing as conditions change, and you won't get too sweaty for the large part of most rides where it's not raining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Lumen wrote: »

...I think (am a few thousand miles from either right now so can't check).

The major advantage of this approach (suggested by the blorg) is that you can't adjust your warmth/waterproofing as conditions change, and you won't get too sweaty for the large part of most rides where it's not raining.

Does it tend to make you pose like this though?
    Must be something in the fabric dye!

BL43640aS.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

:eek: That's €220 on two tops!!!!!!! That's incredibly expensive.

Aldi/Lidl to very similar tops, prob 3/4th the quality and 1/10th the cost. I got luck there a few months back bought all the Winter gear I'll need came to less that €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,339 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm geting one of these Polaris RBS Jackets as soon as they are back in stock.
    I like the colours :)

25105.jpg

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Supercell wrote: »
    I'm geting one of these Polaris RBS Jackets as soon as they are back in stock.
    I like the colours :)

25105.jpg

Not to forget your uncollected boards.ie gear :)

penexpers wrote: »
    Not to forget your uncollected boards.ie gear :)
    I should get that stuff, sorry, I can pick up from Tiny tomorrow..is the stuff there?
    I can pick up from anywhere in Dublin tomorrow.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I should get that stuff, sorry, I can pick up from Tiny tomorrow..is the stuff there?
    I can pick up from anywhere in Dublin tomorrow.

Tiny is doing Dublin-Galway-Dublin tomorrow

Raam wrote: »
    Tiny is doing Dublin-Galway-Dublin tomorrow
    Thanks Raam, I am a total laggard have no excuses.
    Tiny, when you are finished with your superman Ireland treks , i'd like to pickup my boards gear, let me know when it suits you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Thanks Raam, I am a total laggard have no excuses.
    Tiny, when you are finished with your superman Ireland treks , i'd like to pickup my boards gear, let me know when it suits you.

:) Afraid the gear is all back with penexpers now... you'll have to go through him.

-man, I should be asleep, not on t'internets! Blorg will be most cross

72hundred wrote: »
    :eek: That's €220 on two tops!!!!!!! That's incredibly expensive.

Aldi/Lidl to very similar tops, prob 3/4th the quality and 1/10th the cost. I got luck there a few months back bought all the Winter gear I'll need came to less that €50.

You sound like my wife. I have my defence prepared...

It's cheaper than more expensive stuff, and more expensive than cheaper stuff. Diminishing returns applies like everything else.

And on the last boards spin I had the cheapest groupset of the lot.

And I own only two items of Assos.

Yes dear, I'll do the washing up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Actually, now that I remember, I think I have gear to pick up also? Forgot about it, have been away the last while. Will be up in dub tomorrow if it's about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Lumen wrote: »
    It's cheaper than more expensive stuff, and more expensive than cheaper stuff. Diminishing returns applies like everything else.

Its still too expensive for what it is, no matter how its cut.

There's a sweet spot on any cost -v- performance curve and those items are way one side of it.

EDIT: If however its a "present to yourself" type of thing, and you know they're overpriced(/expensive for what you get!). Then by all means buy 'em and enjoy 'em!

Advertisement