Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Came off my bike this morning

Options
  • 13-11-2008 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭

Got the whole way to work grand, cycling down the ramp into the underground (ignoring the, cyclists please dismount signs :)), flying by a lady who had dismounted her bike thinking what a s@p she was, when all of a sudden as I turned, BAM I go on to the ground.
    Grabbed my bike and pride up before anybody saw. Will be more careful from now on :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Sympathies. Same thing happened to me in the car park in work earlier in the year. Buffed concrete surface is like glass, and puddles on a rainy day are like grease on the surface. I wasn't going particularly fast, just a bad angle and wallop, down on my side. Nasty ouch.

Take it handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭fletch

Yeh was crawling along as I was thinking in my head as I was coming down the ramp how easy it would be to come off the bike and then I did :) Lesson learned and at least I didn't end up under a truck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've done that, slid sideways and down while cornering onto a wet ramp, bike came out from under me.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

normal nasty concrete on our ramp - so hope it doesn't happen to me.

i have a blind corner to contend with on it - i ring the bell for peds, watch the roundy mirror for cars - hope not to meet either!

hope yer bruises / pride recover well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Sorry to hear about your ramp incident, I wasn't aware of this problem myself. But'll keep in it in mind now.

Nearly came off today myself at near Grand Canal/Lesson Street, when over a slick metal manhole cover that I didn't see and back wheel fishtailed. Hand to put foot down as started to slide. (-again luckily without near by truck!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

I'd no problems coming down my ramp this morning (though it is fairly slippery at the bottom) but I did nearly cycle into a pillar once I was down in the car park.

Should've been paying attention but I was still a bit shaky from having a taxi smack his mirror off me five minutes previous.

I'd no problems coming down my ramp this morning (though it is fairly slippery at the bottom) but I did nearly cycle into a pillar once I was down in the car park.
    I've managed this in my car park too, except without the nearly. Technically the bike missed but my shoulder did not :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    I've managed this in my car park too, except without the nearly. Technically the bike missed but my shoulder did not :(

Ditto, but yesterday, and I've now got a huge bruise on my shoulder from it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

You two need to practice staying on your bicycles, it's much more fun.

Verb wrote: »

Na, concussion FTW!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Na, concussion FTW!

In retrospect, looking back over today as a whole. I'd rather have been sent home with a concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭easyontheeye

i know a guy that cycled over those little tiny white roundabouts ( the ones you see in house estates that are slightly raised), he slid, landed on his side...he broke...wait for it... his femur :eek:

In retrospect, looking back over today as a whole. I'd rather have been sent home with a concussion.

It's a good 'get out of work' excuse alright... though it does hurt a tad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Verb wrote: »
    Yeah, especially if they plan to get to and from Galway in one piece! In the dark..... :)

kenmc wrote: »
    Yeah, especially if they plan to get to and from Galway in one piece! In the dark..... :)

If it's dark you can't see the thing that nearly hits you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Cycling to rugby training last week, got the whole way there grand, and just as i was turning into the club grounds, forgot to slow down for the corner, so i had to bank the turn to get around it, forgetting i have my slick tyres on, and going FLYING...
    Greasy tarmac is horrible! >.<

Shamshed my front light and had to cycle home in the dark, and my mate saw me going flying.

I'll think twice before going into corners that fast after its been raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CianRyan wrote: »
    forgot to slow down for the corner, so i had to bank the turn to get around it, forgetting i have my slick tyres on, and going FLYING... Greasy tarmac is horrible!

Untreaded tyres give more grip on tarmac.

Lumen wrote: »
    Untreaded tyres give more grip on tarmac.

Would it not aqua-plane easier?

72hundred wrote: »
    Very possibly... if you were doing over 170km/h at the time. :D

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#tread

As usual, Sheldon tells it how it is.

eta: beaten by blorg

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »
    As usual, Sheldon tells it how it is.

eta: beaten by blorg

Ah that Sheldon article is interesting.

What's that about eta & blorg?

What's that about eta & blorg?

eta = edited to add

I think blorg edited his post with the same link, 'tis all.

^^^
    I'm learning yet more net lingo!

Advertisement