Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving after visa runs out

Options
  • 13-11-2008 5:35am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭

Hi all. So I found a cheap flight to Argentina leaving Australia on the 10th February, but my visa runs out on the 9th. Will I get any hassle in the airport if it's only a day late? Do you think they wouldn't let me on the plane etc? Has anyone done this before? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

They don't really check your passport for that kind of stuff when you're LEAVING a country, do they??

They're hardly going to detain you when you're not supposed to be there. You could always ring immigration and check (obviously don't give your name incase its not cool with them!).

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I don't see there being a problem. If the visa runs out on the 9th then the 9th is your last day. You'll be gone on the 10th so happy days. Why not ring and find out?

Btw, are we gonna go for a scoop before then?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

yes for sure, i still have the whole summer left, christ's sake though, I thought it'd be hotter/sunnier by now, when does full on mediterranean type summer weather kick in here?

Have you never watched the airport police show here? They hassle the jesus out of you for doing anything wrong. And they might fine me or something for leaving late. Yeah maybe i'll talk to immi, but calling those places in any country is usually a nightmare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

stay an extra few months and they will send ya home. Save on a ticket lol

Yeah it should have heated up by now. Bit surprised it hasn't. Though you might not be likin it so much come December and January!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Teg Veece

You won't have a problem leaving but I've heard that they can be a bit anal about letting you into the country again even if you overstay your visa by a day.You might get a 3 year ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Teg Veece wrote: »
    You won't have a problem leaving but I've heard that they can be a bit anal about letting you into the country again even if you overstay your visa by a day.You might get a 3 year ban.
    Here, how long have you been here?
    Why not try get residency? You might wannnna came back someday for ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

^^
    why do you have a chick as an Avatar?
    kinda disturbing

Nearly as disturbing as having Lego!

Be like me and have none....less is more!

Nearly as disturbing as having Lego!

Be like me and have none....less is more!

I bet you say that to all the ladies! :pac:

• Advertisement

Here, how long have you been here?
    Why not try get residency? You might wannnna came back someday for ever?

Only since february, I was in NZ before that, i'm not sure if i'd live down here tomorrow, although I really liked Melbourne and Victoria

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I bet you say that to all the ladies! :pac:

I don't talk to girls about avatars, that'd be sad!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Na shouldn't be a problem .

They're more interested in people who over stay their welcome by a few weeks.

If asked just explain the flight that you got .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Lad theres a recession on at home, cash in yer ticket and head for the hills, there'll be an amnestey in ayear or so and you can get yer Citizenship then ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭aiecquest

I think it would not hurt if you let Immigration/DIAC know.... as someone suggested they would probabaly just say do not worry about it if only one day....when it gets to about a week would be different.....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

seanybiker wrote: »

Far as I know you have to pay for your own return ticket in cases like that. They can also bar you from re-entering the country for a number of years and in future immigration applications you would be asked about that.

I dont see it as an issue if you are only planning on overstaying by a day but I would check to be on the safe side and make a note of who you speak to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

aiecquest wrote: »
    I think it would not hurt if you let Immigration/DIAC know.... as someone suggested they would probabaly just say do not worry about it if only one day....when it gets to about a week would be different.....:)

I agree, I'd check just to be sure. At least you've let them know then.

I'd love to do South American when we eventually go back to Ireland but my OH isn't up for it. Think we'll do Africa instead. My OH is originally from South Africa so we'll combine an in-laws visit with some travelling.

Let us know how you get on in Argentina in February and I can try and persuade himself that we should go there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

seanybiker wrote: »
    They will put you in a detention centre in the middle of the desert with no right and conditions worse than a prison.

Then they will charge you for staying there and administration costs, the irish gov pays for the flight home and they charge you for that too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Nah Hussey, I think they'd probably send him to Naru :eek:

The recession doesn't bother me as i've been on a 2 year career break from my cushy well paid government job back home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    The recession doesn't bother me as i've been on a 2 year career break from my cushy well paid government job back home!

Are you Bertie Ahern?

just spoke with immigration, ffs they said I "may experience trouble at the airport if I'm a day late" as I'll be there without a valid visa to be in the country, and this may lead me to miss flight.
    So only option is a $240 tourist visa extension, for a day!!! Argh!

Well, to be fair, they were always likely to say that. They're hardly likely to say 'yeah it'll be grand, don't worry.'

just spoke with immigration, ffs they said I "may experience trouble at the airport if I'm a day late" as I'll be there without a valid visa to be in the country, and this may lead me to miss flight.
    So only option is a $240 tourist visa extension, for a day!!! Argh!

I suppose adding $240 to the cost of the flight makes it not so cheap anymore?
    Is it cheaper to fly out the day before or fly after your visa has run out and pay $240 extra? Gotta weight them up!

what I'm going to do I think is book the flight, but fly to KL a couple of days before and live it up in a 5 star hotel until the flight lives, I stayed there on my way to NZ 2 years ago and it's lovely!

what I'm going to do I think is book the flight, but fly to KL a couple of days before and live it up in a 5 star hotel until the flight lives, I stayed there on my way to NZ 2 years ago and it's lovely!

Sounds like a plan. I stayed in a 5 star hotel in KL on my way here and I loved it. I did some serious shopping as well. I had a really good few days in KL actually. Good idea!

yes the good old KLCC!

Advertisement