Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training to be a teacher abroad

Options
  • 12-11-2008 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

I plan on applying for a Hdip in Ireland but have heard that competition has increased for next year places. I am considering going to Britain but not sure how to go about it or wheter I would have to pay extra fees because I am from Ireland. If anyone has any details on studying to become a secondary school teacher abroad I would really appreciate it.:D Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

you might get more help on the forums of www.educationposts.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

I plan on applying for a Hdip in Ireland but have heard that competition has increased for next year places. I am considering going to Britain but not sure how to go about it or wheter I would have to pay extra fees because I am from Ireland. If anyone has any details on studying to become a secondary school teacher abroad I would really appreciate it.:D Thanks

You need www.GTTR.ac.uk
    Its like the CAO for teaching post grad courses. If its the Bachelor of Ed you're looking at you'll need to apply through UCAS.
    As regards fees. Its something like 2,000 sterling in Scotland, but I'm on the course and the fee's are paid for you so long as you're in the EU so don't worry. So in Scotland you'd 'only' have to pay for living costs, accomodation etc. England is a different story and I think you have to pay your fees over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

Thanks for the replies, I would really like to move abraod to study. I have checked out some of the details on the sites. It says the deadline for "primary" applications is 1st Dec. Is "primary" the same as primary schools here.

It says the deadline for "primary" applications is 1st Dec. Is "primary" the same as primary schools here.
    Yes. I would get moving if I were yo, the process is pretty annoying and your application isn't officially in until your Referees have been in contact with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 phantomwolf

Well I would be interested in teaching Secondary pupils. England/Scotland seem pretty appealing especially with Grants and "Golden Hellos". In Ireland, is there any grants for studying certain subjects? I have not really been able to find any information on this.
    Also Britain does not seem to have a deadline for applications for secondary teaching courses, does this mean that courses begin throughout the college year or do they all begin around the beginning of September?

• Advertisement

Well I would be interested in teaching Secondary pupils. England/Scotland seem pretty appealing especially with Grants and "Golden Hellos". In Ireland, is there any grants for studying certain subjects? I have not really been able to find any information on this.
    Also Britain does not seem to have a deadline for applications for secondary teaching courses, does this mean that courses begin throughout the college year or do they all begin around the beginning of September?
    GTTR is for Primary and Secondary so I presume the deadline is December aswell? Can't really tell you much else about certain subjects or anything, but I know there's a lot of biology teachers in Scotland so not much demand for them until around 2010 when some are retiring. But if you're returning to Ireland that wouldn't be a problem I guess

Advertisement