Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lasek - chances of severe dry eye?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭

I have had my first appointment with optilase and they were happy to put me forward for surgery, either lasik or lasek (although lasek preferred as my cornea is slightly thinner than average).

I will be going for wavefront lasek assuming that my pre op goes as well as my initial check up did.

The one thing that I am really concerned about is the chance of getting severe dry eye, ive read a few horror stories on the net. The tests ive had done show that my tear production is fine, although I have never really got on with contact lenses as they made my eyes uncomfortable so I don’t wear them unless playing sport.

How likely is severe dry eye and how many lasek survivors :p on boards have suffered from it, if any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

My doctor told me the risks of dry eye are much lower with Lasek.

I too have severe dry eye problems when wearing contacts. Its one of the reasons i want the surgery done now, wearing contacts has become too difficult. I've been told by the surgeon that dry eyes from contacts is not the same thing as dry eyes caused by the surgery and as long as the tests show that tear production is okay then it should be fine.

I'll find out in a few days!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I had WF Lasek done recently with Optical Express, no problems with dry eye, not even discomfort like with contacts that have been in for a while, but I have been using the Blink drops every few hours.
    Occasionally I wake up and they feel a bit sticky (in the dry way) but a drop or two and some blinking sorts it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

other thing folks, after the op, how many does before you can watch tv/read or play video games, dunno what ill do for 5 days work without all of the above...

Advertisement