Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making your own cycling shoes?

Options
  • 12-11-2008 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had a go at drilling your favourite shoes and adding spd cleats? Surely, it can't be that difficult ...

cleat.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

Make sure you take them off first...

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

Is this the sort of thing you're thinking of:
    084MACYSUE_medium_fr_Magenta.jpg

on a more serious note, you'd have to scoop out a cleat recess and make sure everything's watertight - I would rely on the pros myself

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I've had SPD shoes where the bit the cleat clamps on to has worn out so I doubt home-made would work great.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

CIMG2697_shoes.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

stuf wrote: »
    on a more serious note, you'd have to scoop out a cleat recess and make sure everything's watertight - I would rely on the pros myself

Don't have to be watertight... Blorgs sandles aren't, and neither are my road shoes -it's what shoe covers are for!

As an aside, it've always thought there would be a market for retro fitting cleats to 'normal' shoes.. i'd love a pair of SPD Converse High Tops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Home-made won't work unless you have a steel plate in the base of your shoe. :)

Read an article years back when SPDs were becoming popular on MTB's, where they tried just that. After a handful of clip-in, clip-out manouvers, the sole just became warped and damaged and the shoes were useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

seamus wrote: »

Read an article years back when SPDs were becoming popular on MTB's, where they tried just that. After a handful of clip-in, clip-out manouvers, the sole just became warped and damaged and the shoes were useless.

Not to mention that cycling shoes (of the spd kind) tend to have stiffened soles as well to provide as level a platform as possible for the foot.

seamus wrote: »

I presume you could do it with carbon fibre... like making an insole, but do it out of CF, place it in like and insole, and screw into it through the sole of the shoe... add a standard odour eater on top, and bob's yer da's brother....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As an aside, it've always thought there would be a market for retro fitting cleats to 'normal' shoes.. i'd love a pair of SPD Converse High Tops!

I thought our resident body modifcation expert would bypass shoes directly and just get cleats implanted on his feet.

el tonto wrote: »
    I thought our resident body modifcation expert would bypass shoes directly and just get cleats implanted on his feet.

:eek: now why didn't I think of that before... always ready for a ride! (steady on now you dirty minded folk).... now, where'd I put my drill....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

el tonto wrote: »
    My foot just shrivelled at that. But not at the thought of drilling into the balls of your feet, at the thought of clipping out :eek:

Something like this is what I want....
    24298840_a4b8876b35.jpg?v=0

Thread here may be useful (though I've not read it, so maybe not!)

Advertisement