Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tracing Family Roots

Options
  • 12-11-2008 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Not sure if this is the right place for this if not move away.

Basically my Grandfather is looking to trace his family roots.
    Now we have found some details in the 1911 Census but can’t seem to find much after.
    So I have a few questions.

What were the dates of the census after 1911 or was there a lot of information destroyed in the burning of the custom house?

Can you find most of this information on the net or will he have to go into the national archives?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

There was a census in 1921 but as far as I know it cannot be accessed by the public for 100 years. I looked at the 1901 census back in the 1980s in the Public Record Office but that was only available to the public because so much had been destroyed in the Custom House fire.

I would check Thom's directory for any addresses you have. This may tie down the years people were living in particular areas. The public libraries have these going back to the 1860s in some cases. South Dublin Library in Tallaght certainly have a set.

Talk to old aunts/grand aunts. They'll very often be mines of information. Another source is the General Register Office in Lombard Street I think. You would really want to have some idea of dates before you go there.

Try the local church too and they may let you see the registers of births amd marriages. Civil registration of births and marriages and deaths only started in 1864 so before that date you'll be depending on church records and the clergy who kept them.

If you are in Dublin the search might be a bit easier. Down in the west it's pot luck as to how far back you can go. Having said that I've gone back to the 1790s in West Clare.

Good luck and good hunting!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

Try looking here too. The records are not complete as some Bishops refuse to allow their church records to be digitised as they want to charge fees for people to see them :mad:

You will be able to identify down to parish level and cross match with maiden names etc before having to view the actual record. To view an individual record costs €5 but it is worth it.

I managed to trace my great, great, great grandparents' names back to the late 1780's using the site. I also tracked down my great, great grandfather's baptismal record and marriage record.

Lizzykins is right that only the 1921 census and before that can be viewed and we can only view the 1921 census because of the burning of the public records office in the four courts by the IRA in the civil war which destroyed many records.

Advertisement