Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWI Reading

Options
  • 12-11-2008 10:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Given that it's almost a century since the outbreak of the Great War, I thought I'd learn something about it.

Please recommend some good materials for a casual reader.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

If you want fiction try All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque or Birdsong by Sebastian Foulkes.
    Non Fiction is a bit harder but you could look at Letters from a Lost Generation edited by Alan Bishop and Mark Bostridge or The Western Front by Richard Holmes.
    If you have an interest in poetry try Anthem for Doomed Youth by Jon Stallworthy. Those are all on my bookshelf and are a good start. Most of them deal with the war from a personal viewpoint of soldiers and those left behind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Thanks Lizzykins. I suppose what I'm after would deal with the root causes of the conflict and how it developed. Definitley not interested in fiction!

Advertisement