Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Total Station (hire or purchase)

• 12-11-2008 7:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭

I am looking to buy a 2nd hand total station for my own personal use in archaeological survey. I have checked Ebay, Buy and Sell and Hire/Sales sites, any more ideas, info or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

So if anyone knows anyone or can point me in the right direction etc...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Ebay is probably the best for a cheap second hand one but they often need to be serviced at least on a yearly basis so buying one direct would be the best option

Topcon Dealer Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 micf

My Father has one here in the house. I'll ask him if he is selling it or will loan it out. He has moved to a desk job so I don't know if he will be needing it any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Thanks for the replies, as it stands I am sorted (friend has Pentax R324) so no need to hire or buy at this time.

Ill take one if anyone has one spare !

5000 yoyos or nearest offer...

• Advertisement

mm.... knock a couple of zeros off that and you got yourself a deal

Grimes wrote: »
    mm.... knock a couple of zeros off that and you got yourself a deal

I think 5k is a fair price for a Leica Total Station... my Pop does and he's the man what priced it :D.

Have you any experience of using one??

Oh yes quite a bit . Ill have to check some funding and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

micf wrote: »
    I think 5k is a fair price for a Leica Total Station... my Pop does and he's the man what priced it :D.

Have you any experience of using one??

What model is the total station? How old is it and is the full kit there?

The UCD Archaeology Society is trying to get one thats why I am asking. The only thing that would put me off buying second hand is the annual servicing cost and their ability to miscalibrate (word?) themselves very easily. Plus the added cost of a data logger and GIS software would put the total cost up to at least 9k.

• Advertisement

Boneless, I'll ask pop for the full description when I see him and what is with it.

Grimes, surely the archaeology society has access to the equipment from the school :eek:? It seems a lot of money to shell out for something only to be used once in a while?? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

micf wrote: »
    Boneless, I'll ask pop for the full description when I see him and what is with it.

Grimes, surely the archaeology society has access to the equipment from the school :eek:? It seems a lot of money to shell out for something only to be used once in a while?? :confused:

Check out my PM to you re this matter. Look forward to hearing from you asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Just found this thread out of a Google search. Did you get sorted OP?

Just to let you know, there are survey sales and hire companies out there. Quite a few in and around Dublin. All able to sell, service and repair surveying equipment. I would suggest you check these options out before you go buying from Ebay.

I work for the Pentax dealers of Ireland and we're currently trying to sell second hand Pentax total stations. Complete kits, or instrument only. Everything we supply comes with a calibration certificate (which in some cases, won't be the case on ebay). We also repair/calibrate everything in our workshop here in Ireland.
    The UCD Archaeology Society is trying to get one thats why I am asking. The only thing that would put me off buying second hand is the annual servicing cost and their ability to miscalibrate (word?) themselves very easily. Plus the added cost of a data logger and GIS software would put the total cost up to at least 9k.

In regards to this, total stations don't go out of calibration that easily. They need to have been dropped, or taken a fairly significant knock. They can be calibrated quite easily for in or around 130 euros, so its not the most expensive yearly service in the world :)

The company i work for is also Leica dealers for Ireland, so if anyone has any questions, i'd be glad to help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭Aelfric

I used to hire one from a place in Ballymount industrial park, near TV3. Can't remember the name offhand, but it used to cost about €35+VAT per day. All the software & datalogger etc., came with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Yea, hire rates have came down so much in recent years. We hire out total stations from 85 euro a week. It really is the better option for someone who wouldn't be using the instrument on a weekly basis.

Advertisement