Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bikes - Garage - Security

Options
  • 11-11-2008 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Just saw the two other threads there about bikes being stolen.

I was wondering about safety - I keep an mtb/road bike in my shed - I would keep them inside however my tt bike is inside (now the attic actually and I am pretty sure my parents would pull a freaker if I insisted on another one inside). Just wondering what else could I do to keep the two in the shed safer.

At the moment both bike (mtb/road) are locked together with two big locks through the wheels and frames to each other and too a ladder. They cost a far bit (the locks) and are about 2.5-3 cm thick - How easy/hard is it to cut through these if its even possible? The side gate is off course always locked. Is there anything else which I could do - Add a sensor light to the back garden be any good etc?

Thankfully there has been no recent break ins last 4-5 years but before that was a different story.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

your best bet apart from what you are already doing is getting a large immovable object and locking them to it.( something heavier than a ladder ) unfortunately the weak point is always the lock. there are alarms for sheds though, i reckon the majority of these thefts are people who have seen the bike, follow the person home and deliberately target their sheds etc. the bikes can be worth a lot and are easy to steal and resell without much pressure involved.

another option maybe to make a fake wall?partition inside your shed and conceal the bikes behind it. elaborate maybe but could possibly work. or raise the floor of the shed, flat pack the bikes ( if they arent being used for a while ) thatll be my mcguyver brain and a beer talking !:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

how secure is the shed itself? If you can beef up the security on the door then you could relax on the bikes - keep them out in the first place rather than stop them getting your bikes out once you get in....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

My brother got a big concrete block and stuck it under the shed, then got those lock things intended to screw into your driveway for motorbikes to lock to. He has a chain connecting his 2 bikes to it. I have another big chain locking 2 bikes and a lawnmower together. It is so cramped it would be hard to work on cutting the locks, and they cannot be removed from the shed while locked up.

You can get shed alarm padlocks which give off a siren when tampered with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭littleknown

some of these look pretty good although for motorbikes could still be used, especially like the look of the second link which says it cant be cut with angle grinders - needs to be embedded in cement though but i reckon thats the only option if you are serious about securing them,

http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/products.asp?category=Motorcycle+Security&subcategory=Ground+Anchors

http://www.pjbsecurity.co.uk/viewproduct.asp?ProductCode=pjb541

and then if you are really serious( paranoid ) and have loads of cash theres always this

http://www.secure-a-bike.com/producten.html

specifically for bikes there are these which look less secure

http://www.bikeparking.com/ --

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Redjeep!

I always figured the best thing was to keep the thieving gits out in the first place.

I've got a big shed and the main thing I did to make it more secure was beef up the double doors with some 2x4's and secure the static door inside to the frame so the whole thing doesn't move. I replaced the screws on all of the hinges with bolts through the frame and added a steel plate behind the bolt/ padlock to make it harder to pry off.

I keep saying that I'm going to add some aluminium chequer plate behind the door but have never got around to it.

I'd also block of any windows from the inside to avoid any prying eyes (but havn't done that yet either).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

A big, angry dog. :)

Failing that the 'beware of dog' sign will do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I was gonna suggest a dog too, something like this guy will strike fear into would be theives (seriously, he has a pretty impressive bark!):

DuffHat.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭snack_ie

Thanks for those responses. Some good advice there which ill put into action. I might try and get one of those things to attach to wall so bikes can be locked on.

Cheers

Advertisement