Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf Cabriolet

Options
  • 11-11-2008 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Hey ever1, I was pondering buying a golf cabriolet just thought id ask and see if you kind people might be able to answer some questions i have.

I only seem to see petrol models? Is diesel much less common and only available in 1.9 tdi?

Does the roof tend to cause problems in them, I know its not exactly the ideal irish weather vehicle but is it likely to let in more cold or get a habbit of not closing right?

Taxing a 1.8 petrol? $?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

It will be colder........until the heater warms up.

I've never seen a Tdi one - is there a diesel cabrio ??

As for life of the hood - can you garage it at night - carport, even ? It'd make a huge difference to the life of the hood.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Golf cabrio was never sold with a diesel engine.

To be honest I would be looking at something like the Mazda MX-5 instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Wilko121

Just to digg this one up again.

I will be able the garage it sometimes

How much difficulty will buying one of these potencially cause me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Ireland with its lack of sun and penal road tax for a 2 litre car makes them something that you will have massive dificulty selling on.

...not so sure about that - you won't be paying top dollar to buy it, so don't get top dollar to sell it - cost in between should be no more/less than anything else, tbh.....

And, when you go to buy a cabrio, there's always fewer of them than you think, especially good ones. MX-5 is great, but only 2 seats, so that may be an issue for OP.

2 litre tax? Anything cabrio, outside Saab 9-3, is all 2 litre afaik, so nothing to choose from there, either.

OP - did you look at a Saab 9-3 ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

bazz26 wrote: »
    The Golf cabrio was never sold with a diesel engine.

To be honest I would be looking at something like the Mazda MX-5 instead.
    It most certainly was, although i'm not sure whether it was here. I'd prefer an MX5 too, although it's no good if you need back seats.

i was thinking of of a 1.6 models, think 98's were around the 5k mark on carzone.

I had considered the mx-5, cheaper insurance but two seats is a bit of a drawback.

Is the roof likely to cause trouble on the VW if not garaged?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP if you are concerned about the rag top would you consider a Peugeot 206cc? It has a retractable metal folding roof, is available in 1.6 and sort of has rear seats:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1261762

The MkIV Golf convertible is actually a heavily modified MkIII Golf which is pretty old hat at this stage. If you do prefer something a bit bigger than the 206 then maybe the Opel Astra would suit, a little more expensive though but maybe a trip to the UK might be cheaper:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1260451

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I can't think of a worse combination - the 1.9 TDI and no roof. Why would you do it to yourself.

A) people won't be impressed by it, it sounds like a Massey.

B) It'll ruin the wind-in-your-hair experience

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

colm_mcm wrote: »
    I can't think of a worse combination - the 1.9 TDI and no roof. Why would you do it to yourself.

A) people won't be impressed by it, it sounds like a Massey.

B) It'll ruin the wind-in-your-hair experience

Colm did you ever see this by any chance :P Some points to note in this op, from 0:19 onwards.

• Advertisement

lol point taken on the dsl cab.

An1 else have some useful slander on this topic?

Ah yes, good 'ol TG.

Fine programme, try not to miss it myself, tbh, but - and it's a big but (sic) ! - messing about and dissing (or otherwise), what are to the man-in-the-street, fine cars, by a triumvirate of people who aren't actually..........a)using any of their own money, and b) even in the slightly bothered about where the next € is coming from is, well, no more than entertainment, really.

Do we really think that VAG went out an built a car for which there was no demand ?? No, of course not. Whether the crew at TG think it was necessary, or not, is irrelevant, the People wanted one.........and VAG gave them one.

Btw, as a current MX-5 owner I can testify that unless the engine was a Cummins, running with open pipes, you won't hear it in a cabrio anyway, on the move, with top down.

Nope, the wind noise, and ensuing tinnitus will see to that......;)

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ah yes, good 'ol TG.

Fine programme, try not to miss it myself, tbh, but - and it's a big but (sic) ! - messing about and dissing (or otherwise), what are to the man-in-the-street, fine cars, by a triumvirate of people who aren't actually..........a)using any of their own money, and b) even in the slightly bothered about where the next € is coming from is, well, no more than entertainment, really.

Do we really think that VAG went out an built a car for which there was no demand ?? No, of course not. Whether the crew at TG think it was necessary, or not, is irrelevant, the People wanted one.........and VAG gave them one.

I see your point and I agree. I think its in the same boat as the whole anti-SUV thing , if certain people see them in the city or down the country minus the tow bar they ridicule those who buy them. Do they really think that the likes of BMW built an X5 with a 4.4l V8 for farmers and tradesmen.....as if. The people wanted one....BMW gave them one ;)

Anyway back on topic, I was just posting the video to give the op a perspective on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

galwaytt wrote: »
    Ah yes, good 'ol TG.

I'm going to be a bit less circumspect - Top Gear is a car programme for people with no interest in cars. The windbags could just as easily be 'doing' holidays or washing machines. It's red-top TV at its worst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I seem to have missed this one - but the Golf Cabrio did have a diesel option.

In fact it had not one but 2 diesel options.

There was a 1.9 TDI with 90 bhp and a 1.9 TDI with 110 bhp.

They were surprisingly popular in the continent, which is where they were sold.

The 1.9 TDI was thankfully never sold in RHD, but it was a seller in the continent alright.

Advertisement