Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SRAM Cassettes

Options
  • 11-11-2008 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭

Right, anyone here run a SRAM Cassette?

Mine arrived last week, and I was having a look at it last night, and can't figure out if it's defective or not :eek:

Looking it it, there appears to be a tooth missing on some of the cogs (for example, the 12 has 11 teeth, and a space where the 12th should be, and so on up the cassette)

With all 10 cogs in place, it looks almost like it's intentional (maybe to allow for smoother shifting), as the gaps look to be machined that way, but it's a little disconcerting.

Anyone notice the same, and is this normal? (Will post pics tonight)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Damnit, should have googled better first time round... from competitive cyclist
    The first time you set eyes on the OG-1070 you'll likely have the alarming realization that one tooth is missing from each of the 5 high cogs. These missing teeth have two purposes: It serves as a gateway that allows the chain to shift fluidly no matter what kind of stress you're putting the bike under. And, unlike Dura-Ace and Record, it allows the OG-1070 to weigh in at a scant 220g without having to resort to easily-worn titanium cogs.

D'OH!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Now your cassette can match your mouth after your crash a few months ago :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Just had a look on the SRAM website there, definitely a big gap on on the force casette on the first 5-6 cogs. Looks like it's on purpose (a shifting aid like you suggest I guess)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Raam wrote: »
    Now your cassette can match your mouth after your crash a few months ago :)

That tooth's been fixed now, I'm back to devilishly handsome, pre-crash ways... though in the concussion causing fall a couple weeks ago, my first thought was about my new, expensive tooth rather than my head! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

...my first thought was about my new, expensive tooth rather than my head! :cool:

You need to talk to Helmet Head, he knows a good solution for this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement