Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpal tunnel syndrome and handle bars

Options
  • 11-11-2008 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am currently suffering from Carpal tunnel syndrome symptoms. The occupational therapist told me to add extra padding to my bars change positions on the bars ( as well as giving me external medication for now).

The bars I have on my fixie ( look pretty cool I know ) but don't really allow me to change positions while riding as they would on my road bike.

I was wondering of any of you have that problem before, as I hear it can be quite common among cyclists. I am thinking maybe bull horns bars would be good as it would allow me to switch position easily ...

Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bull horns would give you a range of useable positions for sure... I have a couple of spare pairs lying around you're welcome to try out if you want?

I get RSI/Tendonitis which leads to weakness in my wrists and fingers from time to time, and used a stress ball, and one of those guitar finger trainers to good effect in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Thanks tiny :)

I might have to invest in carbon ones as they'd be better at absorbing shocks too ...

Thanks tiny :)

I might have to invest in carbon ones as they'd be better at absorbing shocks too ...

Cool cool -the offer's there though, they are just sitting around doing nothing... also, if you want to pad your bars, try using bar gell -I use it on my fixie, and it's mighty comfy!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Thread Hijack... if you are selling on your track bars I might be interested. Looking to buy a set for a while now.. or bull-horn style ones.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Thread Hijack... if you are selling on your track bars I might be interested.

I am keeping my track bars, they rock :pac:

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    Thread Hijack... if you are selling on your track bars I might be interested. Looking to buy a set for a while now.. or bull-horn style ones.

I'll check what I have, and let you know! (I definitely have a set of 'chopped and flopped' alu bars you're welcome too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

I've tried different seat positions and even bought these yokes
    http://www.ergon-bike.com/en/grips/gp1.html

My hands go numb(not cold,but tingly) after about 40 minutes and I have to take my hands off the bars and shake them for a while. Is this bad ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

311 wrote: »

My hands go numb(not cold,but tingly) after about 40 minutes and I have to take my hands off the bars and shake them for a while. Is this bad ?

Do they change colour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

72hundred wrote: »
    Do they change colour?

It's not as bad as that ,but they can get redish and go white to the touch,taking a while to go redish/skin colour again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Sounds a bit like carpal tunnel to me - vibration through the wrists via the bars over 40 mins would certainly get your fingers going 'tingly numb' like you said. I agree with what others here have said - good bar tape (those ones with gel for extra padding are great, I've used em and they're properly comfy) and a quality pair of gloves would def help.

Of course if you're cycling around the last short while without gloves it could cold related...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I got a set of those too. My right wrist is a bit weak after a bad break a few years ago and these together with a more comfortable seating position where I wasn't putting as much pressure on the wrist really made a differance on long spins. very slippy in the rain but worth thinking about for anyone with Carpal tunnel symptoms. If you're using drops then good bar tape and gel padded gloves and keep changing your hand positions every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

I used to get numbness in my palms so I changed to FSA Wing Pro bars which supposedly put less pressure on th e hands due to the increased surface area. At first they seemed to make the condition worse so I put on Cinelli Gel bar tape which was a slight improvement. By pure accident, and facilitated by the gel tape, I discovered that if I gripped the bars really really tightly with my fingers pressed hard into to the underside of the bars all numbness stopped. In short, I found that gripping the bars with a decent force is much better practice that simply resting the hands on the bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I think using your palms in general is bad practice. I have found whenever I use my fingers less, my palms tend to get quite sore. I would imagine that oversized bars make this worse because your fingers have a harder time wrapping themselves around and so you are reliant more on the palm.

Just a hunch, I have no evidence to back this up.

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Just a hunch, I have no evidence to back this up.

I came across this interesting article.

..72oo gets coat and leaves.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a condition that occurs when the nerves and tendons running through the carpal tunnel of the wrist become irritated and swollen. The carpal tunnel is a narrow passage in the wrist comprised of bones and ligaments through which nerves and tendons pass into the hand. When the wrist is overused, used improperly, or injured swelling of the tissues in the carpal tunnel compress the nerves and tendons. This can causes pain, weakness, numbness, tingling, and swelling in the hand and fingers.
    Cyclists may be at risk of developing CTS due to the long hours we spend in one position, the road vibration and pressure from the hand positions we endure.
    Fortunately there are some things you can do to mitigate this condition. If you are experiencing any of the symptoms above start with the following. If the condition persists see your doctor immediately.
    1. Ensure that you have a proper bike fit- Positions resulting in your weight not being distributed correctly throughout the bike can put you at high risk. If your saddle is tilted downward this can put additional weight on to your hands.
    2. Vary your position on the handlebars at least once every 15 minute-by changing your position you reduce the risk of compression. Avoid putting too much pressure from the bars on the carpal tunnel.
    3. Wear cycling gloves- invest in a good pair that has a lot of padding or gel in the palm.
    4. Use good handlebar tape- You may even want to install gel bar pads under the tape.
    5. Switch to a carbon bar- Carbon fiber reduces road vibration. A carbon fiber handle bar may be just the trick.
    6. Stay light on the bars- Keep a loose grip. Beginners suffer from CTS more frequently because they are less confident and grip the bars too tightly.
    7. Bend your elbow- Keep at least a 10 degree bend in your elbow. This is dramatically reduces road shock. Keep arms and shoulders relaxed.
    8. Hand and Wrist exercises- Perform these quick, simple exercises 2-3 times per day?
    • Isometrics: Make a loose fist and use the opposite hand to press against the clenched hand. Hold for 10 seconds with palm up, palm down, and thumb up.
    • Wrist circles: Hold the second and third fingers up and close the others. Draw five clockwise circles in the air with the two fingertips. Draw five more counterclockwise circles.
    • Stretching: Keeping hand open and wrist relaxed, press on fingers for 10 seconds up, down, and to both sides.
    If you follow these guidelines you will decrease your risk of developing this often painful condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I came across this interesting article.

..72oo gets coat and leaves.

Haha, you jerk! I have just been "rick rolled" for the first time. Cheers!

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)....

That's some very sound advice. I'll think I'll defo try that out if I develop CTS.

@DirkVoodoo: Nananana! Cheers for having a sense of humour ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I'll check what I have, and let you know! (I definitely have a set of 'chopped and flopped' alu bars you're welcome too)

Cheers, been thinking about track bars or bull horns for my bowery now for a while... not sure which to go for tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

I got a touch of this earlier on in the year and got advice here. For what it's worth this is what I did:

Moved the lever upwards on the affected (right hand) side (road bike);

Moved saddle forward slightly;

Invested in dearer gloves with better padding;

Bought a magnetic bracelet (€25) to aid blood flow.

Can't guarantee it'll work and while it has not cured me at least it alleviated it hugely and I can still cycle with a lot more comfort.

brayblue24 wrote: »
    Bought a magnetic bracelet (€25) to aid blood flow.

Placebo effect really there. But if it helps you're cycling its all good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭psycholist

those bmx grips wouldnt be great for comfort

you tried using a 2nd roll of bartape on your bars?

or tried changing your hand position about a bit more frequently... ?also if you raise your stem ther'll be less weight for your wrists to support

these would be a bit more ergonomic http://www.cycleways.com/store/product/21312/ITM-Millennium-Grips-Gr-Bk/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Placebo effect really there. But if it helps you're cycling its all good.

I accept that but as I said it's not rocket science. Just want to help the girl if I can....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I got these and they are good/ Previously I was getting complete numbness in my hands after about 8 hours riding, but these really did the trick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

I got these and they are good/ Previously I was getting complete numbness in my hands after about 8 hours riding, but these really did the trick.

Advertisement