Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your opinion on Oscar Schindler?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭

What do you think of the man that save 1,200 Jews from being executed? To the Nazis he was a business man who sought to profit from the Invasion of Poland and made weapons shells for the Third Reich, but to the Jews he was a hero. It is said that nobody knows his true intentions but to have risked exposing himself as a traitor in order to keep his men, women and child jews from being killed i think we can all agree he was truly a remarkable man

To me he is a hero, it's not easy to come by a historical figure who wasn't known for fighting in a war that can be considered a hero, in short i would say only three other men fall in the same catagory of a true hero of the 20th, one of which is Gandhi, the others are Marthin Luther King Jr and Pope John II. But anyway what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

What did pope John II do? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

What did pope John II do? :confused:

Didn't he reform the Chuch. Ok maybe he can't be seen as a hero but i couldn't think of a third one, maybe The Beatles could be seens as better heros but it dosen't matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Sorry I was being cheeky, I think you were referring to John Paul II (there is a difference after all, otherwise they wouldn't keep changing the names...) anyways, to Schlinder. Undoubtably it was brave of him to make a stand for his workers, but at the same time at the cost of how many people who were killed by his weapons? I don't think its possible to see him as a resistance fighter type figure. Tbh I don't know all that much about him though, can you tell me about his motives, are they known?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

All i knew before the movie was he was a swedish buisnessman who was well in with the nazi top brass and made them think he was doing them a favor by saving all those jews .All few thousend of them .

Or was he a german ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ah he was alright. Only in one film and I never heard of him again since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Sorry I was being cheeky, I think you were referring to John Paul II (there is a difference after all, otherwise they wouldn't keep changing the names...) anyways, to Schlinder. Undoubtably it was brave of him to make a stand for his workers, but at the same time at the cost of how many people who were killed by his weapons? I don't think its possible to see him as a resistance fighter type figure. Tbh I don't know all that much about him though, can you tell me about his motives, are they known?

Well in actual fact the weapon shells that he made were faulty ones that didn't work, i guess in away it was his way of giving the Nazis the finger
    latchyco wrote: »
    All i knew before the movie was he was a swedish buisnessman who was well in with the nazi top brass and made them think he was doing them a favor by saving all those jews .All few thousend of them .

Or was he a german ?

Yeah he was in the Nazi Party which i guess did well to keep himself one step ahead of the game, he also was brought to court twice and got off twice through bribery and using his influence

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when a shell landed beside US troops in 1944 , they used to say "made in Czechoslovakia!" maybe Oskar saved a few more lives then he is credited with?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

seanybiker wrote: »
    Ah he was alright. Only in one film and I never heard of him again since then.

Seany, since your obviously interested in motorbikes, he actually was quite a good motorbiker in his youth. I read the book a while ago, but I think he came second or something in a European championship race ??

Also one of the Schindler jews married and lived in Ireland and was interviewed on RTE when the film came out, Kildare if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,087 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Didn't he reform the Chuch. Ok maybe he can't be seen as a hero but i couldn't think of a third one, maybe The Beatles could be seens as better heros but it dosen't matter

I think you mena Pope John the 23rd since he had the Vatican Coucil and changed the mass etc.
    John Paul II if anything pushed the church backwards by fighting reformers, liberation theology and the investigations into child abuse.
    latchyco wrote: »

Or was he a german ?

I think you are geting Schlinder and the Swedish guy Raoul Wallenberg that also saved supposedly upto 100,000 Jews in Hungary mixed up ?
    BTW if a few more people saved a thousand each then it all adds up.
    To quote Burke "Evil only succeeds/triumphs when good men stand idly by "

Advertisement