Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish short Zombie movie

Options
  • 10-11-2008 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭

http://www.detainedthemovie.com/

Not a bad short movie at all and it's set in Dublin. It could have been a lot longer and it doesn't really make any sense but there are some creepy zombie scenes. Take note how much more creepy, suspenseful and terrifying regular zombies are!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Just watched the trailer there. I like the look of it.

Downloading the full version now.

Watched the full version there -

I like the way the teacher
    talking about "it will spread, its a disease" is in a completely different context to the way it looks in the trailer
    very clever.

Just one or two issues on consistancy in there that I noticed
    changing from day to night in the space of a few mins (in the context of the film)

Scenes with the torch were done very well I think.

WTF happened
    in the scene where the zombie appeared over his shoulder in the dark hall though. He just seemed to change location completely and the zombie dissapeared ?

Overall quite well done I think, I quite liked it.

I'm always happy to see any form of Irish horror being produced either shorts or feature lengths, the country has such great locations that could be used for horror. Unfortunately the Irish Film Board are very tight when it comes to giving funding for projects so its putting a real chokehold on anything being produced which is a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

A story or plot might have helped. It was just a mish mash of horror movie cliches borrowed badly, from every other zombie film that went before. Is there only one director in the country? It has the same slow boring pace every Irish film has and the same music too.

It looked pretty good I suppose but I think they went for shots that didn't suit the equipment they where using.

Overall it made no sense and was pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Drunkmonkey79

It was obviously a guy having a flash back and to say it was pointless is a bit harsh. Its a good attempt at a genre that is hard to make seem original, it missed some obvious scares and was a lil short on graffic gore but i thought it was well enough put together. Its hard to tell a story or have a plot for a short movie. All in all not a bad attempt at a zombie short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭SimpleSam06

I find it hard to say anything bad about it since they were clearly tackling the genre with a budget of a pack of taytos and a load of McDonalds ketchup sachets, and really these things should be supported. Even with that though it could have been done better, in terms of plot, scene setup, makeup and general acting. The jumping from one cut scene to the next just made it disjointed and confusing, and the scene where the zombie was right behind the student - well everyone knows that's game over in zombie movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bah.

Can't watch it on a Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Bah.

Can't watch it on a Mac.

Re-word that statement.

...it's not good enough to be broadcast on a Mac.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Bam.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I find it hard to say anything bad about it since they were clearly tackling the genre with a budget of a pack of taytos and a load of McDonalds ketchup sachets,
    I don't know about that. There was certainly a small budget but technically it was used well. They had some nice effects. Like the guy with no lower jaw. It was left on screen too long though, it was a shock at first because I had no expectation of seeing that kind of effect but it was left on screen long enough to see it's flaws.

They didn't play to their strengths and just failed at making a movie like all the rest. As a test film where there just trying things out it was fairly good and I hope they learn from it. As a film in it's own right it just didn't work.

There was a story there like.
    I'm assuming that the hole thing was yerman was immune to the zombies as he had the scrape from one and they didn't attack him. The kind of madness that would set into a person in that kind of situation would have made some great scenes. More of his story with just a flash back to show how he got there would have been a better film.

Advertisement