Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows 2000 - Re-enabling Remote Procedure Calls?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I've 'inherited' a PC with Windows 2000 on it where everything in the services menu is disabled.

No option comes up to set any of the services to manual or automatic, and when i close the services menu i get a message asking saying
    "Close all property pages before closing services"

Apparently this problem is caused by remote procedure calls being disabled.

Can anyone give me step by step info on how to restart the service through regedit?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ouch wrote: »
    I've 'inherited' a PC with Windows 2000 on it where everything in the services menu is disabled.

No option comes up to set any of the services to manual or automatic, and when i close the services menu i get a message asking saying
    "Close all property pages before closing services"

Apparently this problem is caused by remote procedure calls being disabled.

Can anyone give me step by step info on how to restart the service through regedit?

Thanks

Do you have admin privileges?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ouch

^ Yes, I do.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ouch wrote: »
    ^ Yes, I do.

If you can't reenable it in the services windows, you can check it's status in the registry.

Under
    - HKey_local_machine
    - System
    - Current control set
    - Services
    - RpcSs

There'll be a value called start, it should be set to 2 for automatic start, and 4 if it's disabled.

I've found the right key.... but there's nothing there marked "start" at all.

Can i create it?, and if so, should it be a key, a string value, a binary value, or a DWORD Value?

Thanks for your help so far.

Fixed it. Thanks for your patience.

• Advertisement
Advertisement