Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loooking to buy a big skate ramp for garden?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭

Folks,

My two sons are driving me demented for a big skate ramp for xmas.

I think its called a half pike:confused::confused::confused:

Anyway does anyone know where in Ireland i could buy one or is there anyone in Ireland making them? I reckon there i s agood business opportunity there for some carpenters out of work.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 zach morris

Hmmm well I can tell you that you're looking for a "mini ramp". The smaller version of the "half pipe". Don't know anyone who would be up for building one myself but hopefully someone on here can help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

You have a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Isnt there an Irish company railslide.

Yes ,But they make micro ramps , laughable in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭IrishHomer

Doreilaside have a contact number or website? I just googled and all i got was an american site.

• Advertisement

Depends what you mean by "a big skate ramp for garden". And thats down to budget ,space available etc so only you can judge that.

The smallest ramp I'll build is 12ft wide because I believe anything smaller isn't really functional.

Railslides ramps are 4ft wide!

Here's their website link.

http://www.railslide.com/index.htm

It appears to be american but if you look at the contact number it's Irish . they're based in Cork.
    Here's one of their ramps..
    contact.jpg

Click on the link below for one of mine,a 16ft wide spined indoor mini with wallride extension built for Brian Corscadden who rides for Boarderco.

http://www.boardercoeire.com/brian.html#3

Got in touch with them finally after three attempts.

They are really based in USA and the orders are shipped over from the US.

Too late for a Christmas delivery :(

He said it takes up to 35 days for delivery by ship from US.

OK I stand corrected I guess they've emigrated they were based in Cork a few years back.

shagman wrote: »
    OK I stand corrected I guess they've emigrated they were based in Cork a few years back.

Thanks anyway shagman.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

You can print out plenty of plans on the net, all the details you'll need, wood number of screws ect ect ect...
    If you are handy it wouldnt be to hard to put together, if you aren't, just look for a carpenter to do it for you.

• Advertisement

Here's some shots of the ramps I've built. And here's a video of Brian C's ripping up his spined mini with wallride extension.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWicyLeKiJQ&feature=related

I'd certainly encourage people to go build there own ramps but getting a carpenter to do it can easily turn into a disaster unless the carpenter happens to skate! They wont know how to set the coping at the right height or what a good transition is for a certain height of ramp is and all the small details that make a decent ramp.
    Build it yourself and you'll probably end up with a bettewr ramp, www.rampplans.org is a great source of info.

67225.gif

67226.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2 auddd

Wow shagman, that certainly is an impressive ramp...fair play to you!!! My sons, both 14 are mad into skateboarding and have been driving me mad for the last couple of years to get a ramp. I have googled the keys off the keyboard trying to find something. This is the first positive lead ive come across!

They think they will be able to build it themselves...lol...Im not so sure.

But Ill get working on some of the ideas.

Irish homer, did they say how much that ramp cost?

I was about the same age when myself and Roger built our first ramp (in about 85 86) and that was one of the biggest we've built.We built it using hand tools and a lot of hard work and blisters.We had to level a hill by digging up one side and dumping the dirt on the other. before we started building! So yeah if they do woodwork in school and are willing to do some hard work they could build it with supervision. Depends on how handy they are and how handy you are. It's not rocket science but there are a few things which are important to get right. Check out www.rampplans.org and have a look at different plans and ways of building.
    If you want me to build you one PM me and tell me what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭smois

is that the small mini from kings of concrete shag?looks sweet

smois wrote: »
    is that the small mini from kings of concrete shag?looks sweet

No they are both permanent back garden ramps and not mobile.
    In fact the second one I built in a stairs from the platform to the tree hut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Nice ramp man.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Nice ramps.

I want cad plans drawn up gimme a buzz! I started drawing plans for a ramp i would have like years ago, never finished it or builth it. I recon with all the reading and experiece building a few ramps i nearly wouldn't need plans drawn, but i just felt like drawing them anyway.

EDIT:
    minilayout12xj7.th.jpg
    It looks unfinished and it's isometric not 3D :(

Advertisement