Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I stop a pullet laying from the perch?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

I have three pullets and one of them has just started laying. The problem is that it is laying from the upper perch in the coop during the night rather than in the nest box. As a result the eggs are breaking as it is almost a 2 foot drop.

Does anyone know how I can encourage it to lay in the nest box?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Is there a way of lowering the perch mind you they might prefer to be off the ground at night, perhaps a thick later of hay under the perch to cushion the fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

Thanks. The thing is I want it to lay in the nest box beside the perch so I've just removed the upper perch and put an artificial egg in the nest box.

One of them actually always sleeps in a nest box and I have been manually perching it every night and now I've taken the perch away!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Keep the perch in place. Perching at night is how hens are happiest.

Sounds like your pullet is laying in her sleep!! How many nest boxes have you got? Chickens usually prefer to lay in an enclosed space where they can see out. Try building hay up in the bottom of the chicken coop - some of it will break the fall of the eggs she does lay on the perch, and also she may be tempted to create her own nest in the hay if she's not liking the other nesting box.

Temporarily, take a chicken-sized sturdy cardboard box, and place it beneath the perch where she lays from. Line with straw. See if she'll use that instead of laying from the perch.

The first few lays of a young pullet are usually a disaster anyway - weak shells, no shells, odd shapes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Yorky

The pullet enclosure has turned in to a 'mudbath'. can anyone suggest some ground cover ? I thought of bark mulch - is that a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sinead1

Hi ya

We use a very thin layer of lime (red mite killer!) and then use shavings we buy in big bails from the local co-op. Are they knocking over their water in the hen house if so you might invest in a different drinker, if you want I can give you the name of a poultry supplier in tipp that has a 20lt drinker that I find great. Some people don't put water in with them at night to stop the mess as wet damp conditions will result in Coccidosis in your hen house and you probably know is a killer. Try the shavings they are inexpensive and chickens love it!:)

Sinead (the maid)

• Advertisement
Advertisement