Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fixies on ebay

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Difficult to tell really as to what quality might be like, seems to be all no-name components on an anonymous steel frame. Could be OK, could be awful. At least on a fixie there is less to go wrong.

Gearing is a bit on the easy side (44-18), you might be spinning out too easily.

Price-wise, I got my own fixie (Giant Bowery) for basically the same price (£225+20 shipping) in a sale. This is a bottom-of-the-range bike but I guess you have some slight hope that the thing is going to be OK coming from a large mass-market producer like Giant (and it indeed is OK, other than the lockring coming off.)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Yes, hard to say when the manufacturer/model of the parts isn't listed.

Still, it's very cheap. I know blorg got a great price on his Bowery, but you rarely see fixies for that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Look at the feedback left by others really ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭flickerx

I reckon they're OK. If "mountain bikes" can be sold by Dunnes Stores for around a hundred euro, then eventually at some point you'll probably have fixies coming down a lot more in price - and why not, they've got less components, they are outrageously over priced at the moment (marketing). You may not get a quality bike, but you'll get a bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Would anyone else be willing to bet that if you bought one of these, dolled up a little with some stickers and a more flowery description and stuck it on gumtree, that you could sell it for more than you paid for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

el tonto wrote: »
    Would anyone else be willing to bet that if you bought one of these, dolled up a little with some stickers and a more flowery description and stuck it on gumtree, that you could sell it for more than you paid for it?

Pretty much a certainty

Get it, strip the paint, little bit of polish and double the price

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Pretty much a certainty

Get it, strip the paint, little bit of polish and double the price

feeling evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

niceonetom wrote: »

Now I like your thinking there Sir... we could make a fortune!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Those bikes are total trash and will probably kill you if you ride them for any extended period of time. They might as well be made of cheddar.

• Advertisement

fish-head wrote: »
    Those bikes are total trash and will probably kill you if you ride them for any extended period of time. They might as well be made of cheddar.

Where did you hear that? Or have you ridden one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Check out the fixed gear specific forums. They come under a lot of criticism. Cheap mayerials used

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

I've seen one in town, and have heard various horror stories in fixed specific forums. That being said, most bikes for that money are trash.

It's really no different to the "Brand New 27 Gears Bike! €120!" you'd get from Halfords etc, except you only have one crappy gear to deal with instead of 27.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You missed this one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mucco

fish-head wrote: »

Yeah, they're generally considered to be ****e on London FGSS. Advertised for £150 on gumtree, and even then, overpriced.

M

Advertisement