Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25 Midleton to Youghal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Typewriter

"The Scheme is expected to start between Carrigtwohill and Midleton and finish at the Waterford end of the Youghal Bypass."

To me that sounds like a new stretch of road possibly going north of Midleton.

Anybody any info???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭nordydan

"The Scheme is expected to start between Carrigtwohill and Midleton and finish at the Waterford end of the Youghal Bypass."

To me that sounds like a new stretch of road possibly going north of Midleton.

Anybody any info???

I would hope so, the road west of the end of the DC at midleton (Trabolgan roundabout for want of a better word) is severely curtailed for expansion by housing at either side IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

Waterford end of the Youghal bypass??

I hope this doesn't mean that the current Youghal bypass is to be rendered obsolete. That would be completely insane and a massive waste of money. But nothing surprises me anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Its part of the 'Atlantic corridor', but right now surely it would be better to focus on public transport options instead of an expensive offline upgrade. With the Midleton line re-opening potential commuter traffic from Youghal, Killeagh & Castlemartyr should instead be encouraged to use that.

Waterford end of the Youghal bypass??

I hope this doesn't mean that the current Youghal bypass is to be rendered obsolete. That would be completely insane and a massive waste of money. But nothing surprises me anymore.

If they can update the Nenagh Bypass, they'll also upgrade this one.

I also agree about the train option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

I dont know anything about this scheme but heres some guesswork.

N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton scheme - This will be a GSJ construction east of Carrigtwohill and will block off all direct access to the N25 from houses etc. This is one of the 6 schemes on the Govs Budget Delay list.

N25 Midleton to Youghal - This will start wherever the above finishes. It will (guesswork) GSJ the Midleton Roundabout if the scheme is motorway, or will just use it if the scheme is 2+2. Common sense tells me the scheme will veer to the southeast through a batch of houses, then will take an offline route with junctions possibly at Castlemartyr, Killeagh, Youghal West and Youghal East. The Youghal bypass, which is currently S2, will be upgraded to either 2+2 or motorway, dunno which yet.

This is all guesswork, but educated guesswork :)

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&FORM=LMLTCP&cp=51.906204~-8.168067&style=a&lvl=17&tilt=-90&dir=0&alt=-1000&phx=0&phy=0&phscl=1&encType=1

Send the road off to the Southeast there and upgrade the Midleton roundabout to a dumbell and add some freeflow slips. Piles of room :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Off topic but Chris any word on the 2+2 in Cobh, and also what happened to plans to dual part of the N71 by the city?

I'm in total favour of reopening the railway all the way to Youghal and if I lived there it would be my preferred option for commuting to Cork.

But I travel from Waterford to Cork regularly and the section of road from the Youghal bypass to Midleton is the worst on the whole route. The N25 in Waterford is wide and smooth but it always feels like I have a flat tire as soon as I leave that bypass. Its really uneven and its a balls going threw those towns that should have been bypassed by now.

Piles of room :)

Thanks Chris, there was no online mapping the last time I went to Trabolgan...

any word on the 2+2 in Cobh

I did a search and found this.

Is this the 2+2 your talking about?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

N25 Carrigtwohill to Midleton scheme - This will be a GSJ construction east of Carrigtwohill and will block off all direct access to the N25 from houses etc. This is one of the 6 schemes on the Govs Budget Delay list.

Yes. I remember reading that a parallel route was to be constructed to remove direct accesses, thus making it suitable for upgrade to motorway status.

Off topic but Chris any word on the 2+2 in Cobh, and also what happened to plans to dual part of the N71 by the city?

They're still going towards final route selection and detailled design. That said, I do know for definate that there is no funding for it at the moment. Trouble isnt, since this is an N road, it wont be funded under the NRAs budget and I think comes under Cork County Council. Even though this project is needed quite badly, I dont think it'll get built anytime soon.

Not scrapped, but definately put on the long finger.
    “Given the large number of people who use this road every day, I am concerned that although a new route will be selected, the County Council need to secure funding before any construction can be started. Without the necessary funding the Council have advised that they cannot proceed with plans”, noted Deputy Stanton.

David Stanton TD said that he had reservations that any work will begin soon on the new road. “Given the recent downturn in the economy, in particular the construction and engineering sector, I am worried that funding will simply not be available. Following the selection of a route, the project will have to be put to tender, before any work can begin.

Funny enough that is dated 10th September on his website. I got a response to an email I sent to him about all this on the 5th September, which presumably spurred him to put this info up. It basically carbon copies what he mentions on the site.

I will say that he is probably one of the best politicians around.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I don't know what traffic is like between Dungarvan and Kilmeaden or between Dungarvan and Kileagh, but 4 years ago I was travelintg the N25 regularily,
    Castlemartyr and New ross were the big delays with Waterford easily to get through once you know the back routes.

Kilmacthomas bypass is Grade separated S2. this standard ( easily upgradable) should be the minimum standard for these routes. most of the Youghal bypass is grade separated I think. Lots of German highways are S2 but grade separated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

I don't know what traffic is like between Dungarvan and Kilmeaden or between Dungarvan and Kileagh, but 4 years ago I was travelintg the N25 regularily,
    Castlemartyr and New ross were the big delays with Waterford easily to get through once you know the back routes.

Kilmacthomas bypass is Grade separated S2. this standard ( easily upgradable) should be the minimum standard for these routes. most of the Youghal bypass is grade separated I think. Lots of German highways are S2 but grade separated.

Yes, grade-seperated WS2 or S2 is a good idea for lower-trafficked areas. The under-construction N52 Tullamore bypass is an example of this, and I think the N24 Clonmel bypass has one or two overbridges...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,684 ✭✭✭jd

They're still going towards final route selection and detailled design. That said, I do know for definate that there is no funding for it at the moment. Trouble is, since this is an N road, it wont be funded under the NRAs budget and I think comes under Cork County Council. Even though this project is needed quite badly, I dont think it'll get built anytime soon.

You may want to reword the above

Thanks. Fixed.

Note to self: Proof read :D

Just to let people know they have removed the two main gaps in the median on Midleton dual carriageway (there's still two smaller cross over gaps remaining).

I think this was part of phase 1 of the planned improvements.

Good. Those things were awfully dangerous; one of them in particular was at the top of the hill partially obscured by trees near a quarry. To get out of the quarry, a lorry would cross one carriageway and have to wait in the median to cross into the other. Of course with a long lorry you frequently had the fast lane blocked by a lorry full of rocks. Fun.

Of course Part 2 (the new GSJ) would be nice, but that aint gonna happen anytime soon. Unless Amgen decide to come back, in which case money will magically be found.

Advertisement