Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't access files on a CD - help?

Options
  • 10-11-2008 1:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭

I have a CD-R that has three .ppt powerpoint files and I can't open any of them and I have tried it on several computers with various versions of MS Office, when I open the CD in My computer you can see the three files which total 110MB but I can neither copy them to the desktop or open them with MS Office.

The thing is this is the only copy of these files available at all and I really need to be able to open the files.

Any reccomendations into software to use wheter free or pay? The disk used to open before perfectly and is 5 years old having been originally burned in 2003. There are also no scrathes at all on the disk and I have tried Vista, XP and even an attempt using Ubuntu Linux on live cd on a pc with two cd drawers.

Any help would be great as the data is very important, and for myself, If I can't get this open I will have to spend ages researching and typing again!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

When you burned the files to cd, did you "close" the disk?
    This is a common error.

If the disk is still "open" you could try adding to the disk (a sample small txt file for example) and before confirming to further burn, make sure the "close" option box is selected and ticked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Biggins wrote: »
    When you burned the files to cd, did you "close" the disk?
    This is a common error.

If the disk is still "open" you could try adding to the disk (a sample small txt file for example) and before confirming to further burn, make sure the "close" option box is selected and ticked.

I didn't burn the disk myself as I only received the disk recently but I will try what you have suggested and post back tomorrow (I'm on the midnight oil now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I never had any luck when I used Window's prebuilt Burning utility (ie. Drag files onto the blank disc in my computer) - sure it burned but not well... Better to use a 3rd party app

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

5 years old and you dont have a back up *shakes head* :)

what error do you get when you are copying to your drive ?

you could chance your arm with some sort of file recover tool - http://www.softperfect.com/products/filerecovery/

Advertisement