Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Injuries!!

Options
  • 10-11-2008 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Ok just wondering what injuries people have got from surfing???

after a major wipeout few days ago i now have a nice black eye!!
    Board smacked me nice!!!:eek:
    It just got me wondering what injuries have people got out there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Nothing too major thankfully mostly bruised ribs and wallops to the head, a couple of occasions where my leash ended up wrapped around my neck, a near drowning when a coal bag tangled around my legs after I bailed.

A girl I used to work with got it really bad, someone dropped in on her wave couldnt control their board, it shot out from under them and smacked the girl square in the mouth. Teeth lost and a broken jaw.

A friend of my dads broke his leg in three places after he got smashed off a sandbank.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭tonyfillony

Got 4 staples in my head there around 2 months ago. Took a hopper of the board and put my hands over my head straight away like ur meant to do , and the board flipped up and one of the fins caught me square on the head in between me arms. Fecking ouch blood everywhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭cue

Bruised ego.
    Ran as fast as I could down a beach to the waters edge, threw my board in front of me and tried to hop on it to knee paddle out like I saw an instructor doing. Instead of zipping across the water like he had done I nose dived straight into the sand and catapulted ass over face while my friends (who were going out for their first splash around) stood there wondering what the heck that was all about.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ChickCave

Is this the right place to report a lack of injury?

I was involved in a Hannah-Barbera, style incident where my board was thrown sky-ward while I was chatting to a mate in waist deep water, thought the board wasn't gonna come back down and looked up to see what the story was (huh?) and got thumped inthe head by the nose. It was pretty painful and I figured the bruise would be a cool surf injury to show off in the pub that night but one never appeared :confused: Gravity sucks!

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

a few bonks on the head and held underwater a few times. scary when you're swimming for the surface after the wind's been knocked out of ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

had two bloody noses. one when i was a complete grommie, wiped out, came to the surface, and the wind threw my board striaght back to my face. then last week, surfing at a new beach (had been surfing at the 'perfect for beginners' beach up till a month ago, and during a lull, got nicely out the back, only to realise the waves were bigger than they looked from the middle areas... was in the wrong place to catch one, went to started paddling out a bit so i'd be ready next time, suddenly see one i look well placed for, turn, start paddling... big gust of wind swells the wave up a good foot or more, i figure im either gonna get crushed if i dont try catch it, or *if* i could catch it, get a really sweet ride. it kinda just crashed on top of me, slammed my head onto my board with enough force to make it bleed, i tumble, come up facing the complete opposite direction to where i thought i would be, another wave comes, tosses me under again... urergh. they're the days where i wonder what the appeal was, again?

hehe, other than that, just a tonne of bumps and bruises. seen a few people on their first lesson, in the shallows, go to dive off the board, in knee deep water. broken fingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Never really, injured my self from surfing....

I put a surfboard into a little girl's face, probably the worst moment of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Kryx

not too serious thankfully but I did manage to get a nice nice of coral in my shin as a result of falling in Redgate beach in WA, took about a year and a half for it to grow to be able to pick it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭evil-monkey

Never really, injured my self from surfing....

I put a surfboard into a little girl's face, probably the worst moment of my life.

I know the feeling. Was ploughing along on a wave one morning thinking I had the ocean to myself (bar my 2 buddies with me) when suddenly this little dude (couldn't have been more than 10) appears in front of me...went straight into him despite my best efforts...wasn't pleasant...

While I know the beaches here are in most cases too small for it, they should divide them like they do in California. One part for surfers, another for non-surfers...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

My wetsuit is a bit too tight around the groinal area, combine that with my clumsiness and the severe cold on Friday and I managed to do some serious damage to my nads. They only stopped aching yesterday evening:o

Was actually thinking of starting a thread to see if there's such a thing as a surfing cup (would be more amusing than just googling)

• Advertisement

tman wrote: »
    a surfing cup

f*cking genius!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Hehe, perhaps I should try to get a prototype made up and take it to the Dragon's Den

Hehe, perhaps I should try to get a prototype made up and take it to the Dragon's Den

Well you've your first customer right here

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

my right hip is giving me trouble
    i cant figure out is it the sudden squats you have to do, the way i dismount the board, or the fact that the leash is attached to my right foot (which can give quite a tug from time to time).
    climbing stairs is the hardest!!
    i'm hoping its just a muscle or ligament and nothin else!! (arthritis in the family, i'm in my 20's)

i suppose some warmups would be a good idea before togging out,
    (suggestions appreciated!)

as far as more traumatic injuries are concerned, none to report, (but was in inch this week, very strong offshore for about an hour, picked up quite suddenly, came off my board stood up and opened my eyes to the sight of my airborne board heading for my head, and did a super-cool "deflect with my left arm while diving right" manouver, musta looked impressive!!)

i think comparitivly, surfing is pretty safe- at least you fall into the water! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mccartm6

was in hawaii last summer... had to jump opff a wave to avoid some school groups.. forgot about the whole coral reef situation and landed with both feet firmly planted on an urchin... had blue spines in my feet for weeks... very painful...

Ps. Cant wait to go back!!!!! wooooo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭pbuckland05

During the summer I got my 10 foot longboard inthe head I feel off the wrong side of the wave and the wave slammed the board into my forehead I was karted off to hospideal with a 6 inch cut to my skull I ended up with 10 stitches and a nice scar

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Longboard

Got high fived in the face by my board. Split my nose open to the bone. Only 2 stitches.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Shonagh

umm there was one time i wiped out, got tangled up in my own legs and nearly drowned.. lol

orrr i had to get stiches in the back of my head, board flew up and came straight down into my head, i couldn't think straight for weeks...

numerous jellyfish stings as well, The w***ers :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭loctite

I've a good one...

I had been surfing bout a year and a half. Went out on a heavy day, went over the fall an caught the fins of the board between the legs as I landed on my board from a good 4ft wave.

Surfaced with a stinging and dull throbbing pain in the scrot (you know the one I'm on about guys) and cupped my groin hoping it would make things feel a bit better.... I Lifted my hand to see it covered in blood...

convinced that I'd castrated myself, paddled back to shore with one hand on tackle, and puked at the thought of what i'd just done....

got to shore and realised it was just a big gash on the palm of my hand needin 6 stiches.........the relief!!

Did actually see an English guy slice his scrot in two in Morocco in Immousane with a 9" nineplus fin... not a pretty sight....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Silversurfer!

Had the same problem so I got a groin guard but it looks dodgy:pac:
    My wetsuit is a bit too tight around the groinal area, combine that with my clumsiness and the severe cold on Friday and I managed to do some serious damage to my nads. They only stopped aching yesterday evening:o

Was actually thinking of starting a thread to see if there's such a thing as a surfing cup (would be more amusing than just googling)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭4-age

I have one for you guys. Was in Hawaii 2 years ago surfing by one of the molokai islands. I wipied out and my bored popped fin caught me in the face, had to get 24 stiches from my cheek right to my eye and lost the movement and feeling in my face for about 6 months. Luckily I had only cut and not severed the nerve so I am back to some feeling and most of the movment. Back surfing within 10 weeks and havent looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

I knocked myself out in Bundoran last year, fell of the front and managed to land beautifully on my head. Woke up on my back floating with a nice concussion and small cut.

Another lad in the water swam out to me straight away and reached me as i woke up. Good bloke, paddled in with me to make sure i was ok, had a laugh the whole way with him describing what happened from where he was standing (all he could see was 2 legs sticking up in the air for a second or so...

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭theCaffers

board hit me in face and knocked me 2 front teeth out. month later 12 year old kid sliced my head on a shortboard...8 stitches

gotta be the unluckiest surfer last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

i only started surfing friday, but so far i've managed to cut my toes and my neck is raw from the wetsuit. i'm hoping it'll be a while before i have some proper manly injuries

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

longshanks wrote: »
    i only started surfing friday, but so far i've managed to cut my toes and my neck is raw from the wetsuit. i'm hoping it'll be a while before i have some proper manly injuries

I'd advise wearing booties to prevent cuts but I've just noticed that you're in Egypt, grrr ;) try Vaseline for your neck before putting on your wetsuit.

I haven't had any serious injuries thankfully. Numerous small cuts from fins and bruises from getting smacked by my boards or windsurfing rig. I cut my foot up on some rocks last week after I went windsurfing without booties, hence the comment above. I'm just glad it wasn't my head :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

cornbb wrote: »
    I'd advise wearing booties to prevent cuts but I've just noticed that you're in Egypt, grrr ;) try Vaseline for your neck before putting on your wetsuit.

:o

when i read that i thought to myself 'whats this fruitcake on about? egypt??'

until i saw what it says for my location. i'm in waterford, can't remember how egypt got to be there..... interweb pixies maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

when i read that i thought to myself 'whats this fruitcake on about? egypt??'

until i saw what it says for my location. i'm in waterford, can't remember how egypt got to be there..... interweb pixies maybe?

Ah right. Probably still warmer than Galway though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Booties and a high neck rash vest is the way to go (or some sort of lubricant around the neck, but some oil based ones can compromise the neoprene IIRC so choose carefully)

Advertisement